Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Queen Arrived how long can I keep her inQ cage  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Tauseef

• New Bee
New Queen Arrived how long can I keep her inQ cage
« on: October 21, 2020, 03:57:21 am »
Hi
I wanted to ask question about, Queen
I ordered a queen its arrived but the hive is not yet ready for her
Is that OK to keep her in the cage for another day
In a ventilated place

Thanks p

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: New Queen Arrived how long can I keep her inQ cage
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 07:28:17 am »
With proper care, yes. Warm, dark area and a drop of water daily on the cage and she should be fine for several days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:11:35 am »
Is there some reason that you cannot put her in the hive sealed in the cage. It is better to have her in a hive. If not I would add some bee around her cage.
Does she have worker bees in the cage. They will usually feed her every Royal jelly until they die of starvation.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:38:42 am »
sawdstmakr good advice. If you have to keep her out of the cage,  you can use a cotton swab or tissue  soaked in water and put it on part of the screen. Do not use your finger to smear the water on the screen. I used to do it all the time until one time must have some contaminants on my finger queen and attendants was dead within abut 1hr.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 04:09:48 pm »
Put her in a dark quiet place and give them a drop of water everyday.  Usually you can keep them for a week or more.  Of course how much they were stressed before you got them has an effect.  The post office is hard on queens.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin