Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Lifts  (Read 16461 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Hive Lifts
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 03:35:33 am »
The problem with many of the lifts you folks are discussing is they are tipNdolly style.  Last I checked, boxes of bees with loose movable frames in them do not do well when tipped.  Bees and queens get squashed, syrup feeders spill out, honey frames shift bursting cappings and leak honey, all the frames have to be reset after, etc etc etc.  A hive is not an appliance nor piece of furniture. 
To be a HIVE lift it must pick a hive straight vertical and keep the boxes level for the lift and the entirety of the move.  That means a forklift style or a sky hook/boom style.
Turn your eyes away from the tipNdollys.  Look for a better tool for the job.
If you just want to move -empty- boxes around then maybe a dolly or a yard cart can work, but I certainly wouldnt be putting much money to it nor allow it anywhere near a hive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:03:40 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Hive Lifts
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:38 am »
Last I checked, boxes of bees with loose movable frames in them do not do well when tipped.  Bees and queens get squashed, syrup feeders spill out, honey frames shift bursting cappings and leak honey, all the frames have to be reset after, etc etc etc.
Most active hives do not have loose frames.  Actually it is the stuck boxes that pose a problem.  I certainly would not use one if the hive had a feeder.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 09:59:52 am »
Mr Hp I agree the less tip the better. We tip our hive boxes completely on there sides when checking for swarm cells. 90 degrees as shown by Ian Steppler.  Of  course they are not being moved around and bumbleing along, but there again, in fairness to (some) of these lift designs, they are not being transported vertically as might have been seen in one of the design videos above.

Actually some of these designs are only tipped at 30 degrees . Some even less.  We should be just fine? Less the feeders. Plus remember, when rotating brood boxes, adding queen excluders, adding boards for separation of bees from honey supers, complete inspections, these lifts hold the raised boxes pretty much level. A real back saver?
For removing honey boxes for loading and extraction this will make the job a breeze and should not be any question of a problem. Especially our back! lol

Taking into consideration these lifts are designed for the hobbyist, and small commercial, namely ones with bad backs in particular who wish to continue enjoying bee keeping, (and not large enough to justify investing in an easy loader), hopefully many more years when nature says it times to quit. These have to be much help giving the beekeeper  a new refreshing out look on beekeeping?  Just food for thought.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:46:51 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 02:18:43 pm »
Mr Honey Pump, this is a video from a fellow from Russia who has an attachment that picks a box up level by cable overhead. This lift also has the ability to transport the hive the traditional slightly tilted way of small lifts as we have seen in other videos. If this could be modified to move an entire hive upright as done by the ez loader instead of just picking up one box., it might have potential for the best of both, (moving a hive completelpely upright) and portable for the small operator? I am going to give this some thought. Note the motorcycle tires, big, and should make for a smooth ride even across rough ground or unleveled ground, and easier to up ramp and off ramp in a trailer situation.

https://youtu.be/pOAF9QB9Xh0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:35:09 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 05:14:36 pm »
I have one of the lifts from Boris in Canada, love it use it all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQKpplSwS3A
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 05:18:05 pm »

That is awesome! You are the first person that I have talk to who is actually purchased one. I can see from the video there are many things to like about the Boris lift. Would you be kind enough to share what you do not like about it, or perhaps what you think could improve it?

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 09:23:01 pm »

That is awesome! You are the first person that I have talk to who is actually purchased one. I can see from the video there are many things to like about the Boris lift. Would you be kind enough to share what you do not like about it, or perhaps what you think could improve it?
There is not much I don't like, overall I am pleased with my purchase this will be my 3rd season with it.
I would like to add a stabilizer to hook to the top of the hive to stop the hive rocking when you are first lifting it. Right now I hold the top with one hand to prevent the rocking. I would like both hands to operate the hive lifter. I would like to secure the carriage from moving during transport, right now I use a bungee cord. Here is  a video of me using it last fall moving and set up in a new yard they were some heavy hives saved my back and a lot of time with the lifter.
It would be nice to have a motor to drive the wheels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OhJ2sMC9A
I also set it up as a scale to weigh the colonies in the fall for winter weight. This video is not complete but you get the idea, it worked really well.
Hes the link to scale on the hive lifter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejP6B9GKAFM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:33:14 pm by Brian MCquilkin »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 09:36:39 pm »
Mr MCquilkin I can not express to you how much I appreciate your feedback. I am glad you are happy with your purchase of the Boris lift.  I can only hope to take your suggestions and incorporate these with ideas I have and come up with a lift that will be the closest to perfect lift,  for myself and my friends here. It is not so much my wish to profit but to help them, these many folks who have helped me here at beemaster which might be getting close to the age and physical time of decline where such an important tool can roll back the years as far as handling our bee hives are concerned. You are now an important link in that equation and I thank you sir for your input. Sincerely Phillip (Ben Framed) wish me luck! Lol

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 02:04:41 am »
> It would be nice to have a motor to drive the wheels.

Mr.MCquilkin
Here is a regular dolly with a drive made to fit. Perhaps you can do this to yours?

https://youtu.be/Rz0sjYLvxo0

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 08:06:53 am »
Brian,
Nice setup. Com the looks of those hive racks, you were planning on getting a lot more hives. How many do you have now.
I like the way you added the scale to the lifter. If you weigh them each time you add a super, you could then know how much honey they have added.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2021, 08:20:32 am »
right now I use a bungee cord.
Expand on that idea.  Use a toggle clamp with nylon strapping.  The hive boxes are all the same size so the length of the strap could be fixed.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2021, 02:05:59 pm »
Brian,
Nice setup. Com the looks of those hive racks, you were planning on getting a lot more hives. How many do you have now.
I like the way you added the scale to the lifter. If you weigh them each time you add a super, you could then know how much honey they have added.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks for the comment Jim, My intention is to be running about 120 hives hopefully coming out of winter with 36. All colonies will be in stationary yards
Have ordered 10 overwintered nucs and will have 26 Carniolan queens 4 weeks after the nucs arrive. I plan to become the mad splitter this year.
In addition to the hive lifter, I added a little winch Crain to the mix works well for me. If I was running pollination or moving the bees around a lot then I would look at different options.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2021, 02:40:46 pm »
right now I use a bungee cord.
Expand on that idea.  Use a toggle clamp with nylon strapping.  The hive boxes are all the same size so the length of the strap could be fixed.
Thanks  Ace

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2021, 02:41:35 pm »
> It would be nice to have a motor to drive the wheels.

Mr.MCquilkin
Here is a regular dolly with a drive made to fit. Perhaps you can do this to yours?

Looks like a great idea thanks

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2021, 08:27:46 am »
Mr.MCquilkin

Try to gear it down so you don't need that big a sprocket eating up ground clearance.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2021, 08:46:09 am »
That?s right. I noticed he had a reduction gear on his motor, probably needs just a little more reduction than what he used.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2021, 11:04:20 am »
Yes Sir, Ace, my ground is not level.  I know what your saying.  All we need is a BobCat on track, only $35k so we can move a beehive.  However if I paid $35,000 for a BobCat skidster for honeybees, my wife would use it to dig my grave.  As beautiful as my wife is, a skidster might be pushing things a bit.  Although I had a BobCat skidster for the horses, however the wife loved her horses, not so much honeybees,,,, so my back is blown.  I?ll spare ya the details.

Health to your bees,
Van
That's 35K for the skidsteer and another 5K for a new pony for SHMBO
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2021, 12:06:17 am »
I have found another one that I really like!! Check this out.

https://youtu.be/Tz3m3I2OZIY

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2021, 08:36:16 am »
Slow if you are running a business.  Great if you are a hobbyist.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2021, 09:18:53 am »
Slow if you are running a business.  Great if you are a hobbyist.

Now Brian whether you are running a (small) business or you are a hobbyist, loading 10 hives in >about 10 minutes< does not seem that slow to me. lol 
You must load hives like the road runner, with the coyote in hot 🥵 pursuit!! For the small operator on a limited budget, is there a faster, easier, or better way to load 10 hives on a pickup truck, by hand or any other way in 10 minutes; Alone?  😊😊😊
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:43:07 am by Ben Framed »

anything