Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Preparing for Winter Shutdown  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Turraman

• New Bee
Preparing for Winter Shutdown
« on: February 24, 2020, 05:57:25 am »
This is only my second season of beekeeping, and I don't want to repeat the mistakes I made last Winter.
I know Winter seems a long way off, but I want to  make sure I leave plenty of stores for the bees.
I am on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. My hives are all 10 Frame and bees are Italians.
 I am hoping to go down to a single box for the Winter and hope to avoid feeding syrup if possible.
I would appreciate any advice from others doing similarly as to how much stores to leave and when to shutdown.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
Re: Preparing for Winter Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 03:16:44 am »
I don't tend to take honey off the bees at this time of year. I leave them with a full Depth super which at the time of winter shut down would only be half full of honey maybe not even half.

In Sydney we would have a more mild winter then you would down south. I can usually get a good harvest from these frames towards end of August.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:38:20 am »
Things can get chilly down your way. The thing is even if you get decent flying days there won't be much nectar around only a bit of pollen from Wattles etc. If I was you I would be leaving a full super and running a double thru winter. The only way I would contemplate a single is if you keep frames aside  and actively manage/feed them those frames as they require them. I wouldn't recommend tho. If you run the double you will have a stronger hive come next season.

Offline baba_meza

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:01 am »
I was wondering the same, when is it the right time to reduce the size of the hive?
The girls are still busy. The super is only 40% full, 10% capped. Not ready for harvesting.
3 other boxes under the queen excluder.

I live in Melbourne and I have the hive for less than a year.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Offline Biggles

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 08:02:31 am »
Hi baba

Keep a watch on the BOM website.  When forecast maximum temps are consistently below about 18 degrees, think about reducing then.  March - early April are typically still warm.  Tomorrows temp I see is 30.  Still good forage weather.

Mark

Offline baba_meza

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 06:44:28 am »
Thanks mate :happy: