Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Powdered Sugar treatment question  (Read 2604 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
Powdered Sugar treatment question
« on: May 21, 2019, 02:13:01 pm »
hi everybody
I put a screened bottom board a couple of weeks ago and I have found some varroa mites on the sticky board. Not many (I would say the 24hr drop rate is about 2/3), but they are there. Here are a few questions for people more expert than me:

--  I think this is still below the threshold for treatment, right?

-- I plan to do powdered sugar treatment. I understand it has to be done weekly for at least 3 weeks to have an effect.  My hive has 2 10-frame deep brood boxes, and 1 medium honey super. I understand I shouldn't dust the honey super. How much sugar for the deep boxes? I read both 1/2 cup or 1 cup per box.

-- Has anybody done the rhubarb treatment? Chopping up rhubarb leaves and putting them in the hive for natural oxalic acid release? How much rhubard? How often?

-- Finally, I have a package of Hopguard II treatments that I bought last year but ended up not using (I did not treat the hive last year at all, under the advice of the local honey producer who sold me my bees). I stored it in the barn so it went through sub-freezing temperatures. It is still sealed. Is it still effective?

Thanks
R

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Powdered Sugar treatment question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:14:54 pm »
The experts at University of Florida say to bee effective, sugar treatments need to bee done every 4 days for about 4 weeks. Dust 1/2 cup over the top of the brood frames. Do not tear the hives apart. This is too much interference if you are taking the frames out. They do not consider this a reliable treatment.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:18:30 am »
I have dusted bees with no brood to harbor varroa mites, and I find that only 10 to 15 percent of the mites on the adults bees are removed with each dusting.  I would use the HopGuard strips and follow up with an alcohol wash to check if it did kill the mites.  Always check the package for storage instructions, in the barn is not always good.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 09:53:02 am »
Interesting short time of beekeeping, studying, reading,  videos, keeping up with what newer beekeepers have experienced. I have come to the conclusion that the sugar shake is next to worthless. May sound politically incorrect but it?s my conclusion.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 12:07:47 pm »
... I have come to the conclusion that the sugar shake is next to worthless. ...
Phillip

My studies led to the same conclusion Phillip.

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:05:49 pm »
Using it along with a frame of drone larvae to clean up a swarm or a shaken swarm worked.  It is a lot of work, but if you are only talking about 2 or 4 colonies it's not bad.   Mainly, the absolutely no chemicals beekeeper are the ones using it.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:52:16 pm »
I'm trying sugar dusting again this year, but I'm not sure how it'll work out.  I'm trying to use it as a preventative sort of treatment, so I'm sugar dusting the hives every other week, essentially regardless of mite counts.  If it doesn't go well, I'll treat in the fall. 

-- Has anybody done the rhubarb treatment? Chopping up rhubarb leaves and putting them in the hive for natural oxalic acid release? How much rhubard? How often?

I've never heard of this before but it's really interesting to me.  My family is trying to be as self-sustaining as possible, and rhubarb would be something that we could grow, as opposed to the powered sugar, or really any other treatment, which we have to buy. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 07:12:50 pm »
I have heard of it. I do not know anyone who has ever tried it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything