Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Manure for the Garden  (Read 18806 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Manure for the Garden
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2022, 08:14:55 am »
Sertikk,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Plinsc

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2022, 11:03:07 pm »
 I have rabbit and duck manure here, I have had good results with it.
 Goes from wheelbarrow to garden directly
Doing everything the hard way

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2022, 07:05:43 am »
Whatever you have is best.  :)  I think most any of it is best after it's aged a bit (composted).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 05:25:10 pm »
Hi Folks,

These days I tend to use worm castings a lot in the garden. I feed the worms mostly on coffee grounds and horse manure with the odd supplement of wood chips if they are available. If I go away for an extended holiday, I will add cardboard to the farms to keep them going long term. I used to feed vegetable scraps to the worms but that turned out to be more work and the seeds used to sprout all over the garden. I keep the worms in old bath tubs.

The bath tubs are elevated and the worm liquid is caught in a bucket. Each worm farm has internal drainage and a hinged lid. A piece of old carpet covers most of the bed. This keeps the compost dark, moist and cool.

The beds produce a good, nutrient rich compost that the veggies love.

I harvest the compost twice a year.  Worms are also harvested about 3 times a year and sold to a local worm farmer.

salvo

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 09:13:35 pm »
Hi Folks,

Betcha didn't know this! It's cuzza all those bodies piling up. Replacement for cow poop!

Decomposing HUMAN remains can legally be used as compost from 2027 thanks to new California law aimed at tackling climate change

A California law makes it legal to turn human remains into compost

The process involves placing the body inside a reusable container along with wood chips and aerating it to allow microbes and bacteria to do their thing

The law, signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom this week, takes effect in 2027

?With climate change ... this is an alternative method of final disposition that won?t contribute emissions into our atmosphere,' the bill's author said

Sal

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2022, 09:28:04 pm »
 :happy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2022, 09:11:16 am »
What a great idea.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2022, 09:50:01 am »
Hi Folks,

These days I tend to use worm castings a lot in the garden. I feed the worms mostly on coffee grounds and horse manure with the odd supplement of wood chips if they are available. If I go away for an extended holiday, I will add cardboard to the farms to keep them going long term. I used to feed vegetable scraps to the worms but that turned out to be more work and the seeds used to sprout all over the garden. I keep the worms in old bath tubs.

The bath tubs are elevated and the worm liquid is caught in a bucket. Each worm farm has internal drainage and a hinged lid. A piece of old carpet covers most of the bed. This keeps the compost dark, moist and cool.

The beds produce a good, nutrient rich compost that the veggies love.

I harvest the compost twice a year.  Worms are also harvested about 3 times a year and sold to a local worm farmer.

Good set up Les. Thanks for sharing your ideas and pictures.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2022, 11:50:51 am »

What a great idea.

Ace; To be clear, which in your opinion is the great idea? That of Lesgold or that of the report in reply 24 by Salvo?  :shocked: Or both  :cheesy:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 09:29:27 am »
Both.  We should put back in the earth what we take.  Bear in mind the atmosphere is part of the earth.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2022, 05:37:42 pm »
Just finished emptying out the worm farms yesterday. Ended up with 12 buckets of the good stuff dug into the garden beds. That should get the veggies growing well.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2022, 06:31:44 pm »
lesgold
Wish I had about 4 dump truck loads of that.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2022, 06:35:52 pm »
I put about 8 bucket loads like that of aged horse manure into Judy?s garden not only for fertilizer but also to raise it up to keep it from flooding out during heavy rains. It brought it up just enough to stop the flooding.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2022, 01:33:40 am »
Aged horse manure is good stuff in the garden. Quite often the compost worms get into the manure and do a good job of breaking it down.