Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Built a wax dipper to coat plasticell foundation  (Read 8262 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Built a wax dipper to coat plasticell foundation
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:31:41 pm »
Here are some pictures of the wax dipping container that I just built from metal that I had in my scrap metal bin.

The last picture is looking inside.
This project took 2 hours from start to finish.
I used 2-4x4x1/4 x 24 inch square stock. I bought them from the metal supply house the last time I was there. They were in the 50 cent/pound scrap bin.
I cut out one side of each the 4x4s, welded them together and welded on a 6x10x1/4 inch bottom plate.
I will fill it most of the way with water and then the top is filled with wax.
I have about 150 plasticell sheets that I plan on coating this evening.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Built a wax dipper to coat plasticell foundation
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:37 pm »
How will you heat it to keep a desirable temp?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:06:05 pm »
I put it on a burner, the type used for deep frying. We just turned the gas control up, down of off. This burner has a pilot which not only makes it to turn back on but it also adds just a little heat which helps keep it hot.
Here is a picture of my granddaughter using it.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:44 am »
I've got an old turkey fryer pot that I've used.  I picked it up at an auction for next to nothing.  When I dip the foundation, I smack it on an industrial baking sheet that has a little water in it.  I do that to get rid of excess wax.  I also only dip half the foundation at a time(so I can hold on to it).  Let it cool, then dip the other half.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 08:15:54 am »
Cao,
I like the baking sheet idea. I will use that. We did about 60 sheets last night before I ran out of wax. It works pretty well when the wax is real hot. The first few that I did filled in the cells and used a lot of wax. I did not think it was going to work. Then my wife and granddaughter came out and by then it was much hotter and the sheets started dripping much better. I will use my thermal laser sensor to make sure it is at the right temperature. I think I will weld a metal ring about 3 inches down from the top and then cut a tin pan to slide over and sit on the ring. That will catch the drippings for reuse. Keeping it near the top will keep it away from the heat and let it cool. Right now a lot of wax ended up in the dirt and on the base where it vaporized.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 08:45:16 am »
Nice scrap Jim.  You will have to point me where that is.  Practicing your welding eh?
I am wondering if a couple of soft wall paper brushes would eliminate the dripping?  One side could be mounted to the tank and the other side in your free hand.  Then just pull the plastic up through the two brushes like a squeegee.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 08:47:54 am »
Right now a lot of wax ended up in the dirt and on the base where it vaporized.
Be careful of an explosion, especially with the grand daughter around that.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:56 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:13:20 am »
Nice scrap Jim.  You will have to point me where that is.  Practicing your welding eh?
I am wondering if a couple of soft wall paper brushes would eliminate the dripping?  One side could be mounted to the tank and the other side in your free hand.  Then just pull the plastic up through the two brushes like a squeegee.
Here is the web site for this company:
www.alro.com

The idea if the brushes is interesting but the wax solidifies very quickly and becomes hard. I?m not sure what soft wall paper brushes are so I do not know if they would work.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »

Here is the web site for this company:
www.alro.com
I thought it was a scrap dealer.
The idea if the brushes is interesting but the wax solidifies very quickly and becomes hard. I?m not sure what soft wall paper brushes are so I do not know if they would work.

The one in the tank would have to be close to the level of the wax.  The one in your hand would have to be dunked between sheets to keep from solidifying.

Something like this with soft bristles.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DQB-11930-Wallpaper-Smoother-Brush-12-in-Hardwood-Handle/47752769?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1210&adid=22222222227035010496&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=75437291314&wl4=pla-175419567394&wl5=9005291&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112353941&wl11=online&wl12=47752769&wl13=&veh=sem
Maybe a heat gun would help to keep it melted.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:28:24 pm »
 Ace,
This is a metal supplier. I go to their scrap bin and got those and many other pieces. The steel is 50 cents and the stainless is $1.00 a pound.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 05:15:09 pm »
You can't beat that.  How did you cut the square tubing?  I would expect it to spring all over the place
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 11:14:25 pm »
You are right and I was expecting it to. It popped up about 2 inches. I reduced the amount of spring on the second one by cutting 95 % the end section, I left one inch of metal on the bottom to keep the sides together.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 09:04:46 am »
OK what did you cut it with?

Oh, on your next one (you will probably be making these for other beeks) cut out the side that has the welded seam.  That is going to have them most stress in it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:33 pm »

Oh, on your next one (you will probably be making these for other beeks) cut out the side that has the welded seam.  That is going to have them most stress in it.
I cut them with a 7 inch and a 4 inch cutting wheel. The 7 inch is in a circular saw and the 4 inch is in a grinder.
If I cut on the weld side won?t it have even more stored energy when I cut it?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »

I cut them with a 7 inch and a 4 inch cutting wheel. The 7 inch is in a circular saw and the 4 inch is in a grinder.
If I cut on the weld side won?t it have even more stored energy when I cut it?
Jim
I would say not.  The other three sides will have equal stress no matter what.  It may not make much of a difference in the end but I cut the welded side out if I am looking to make a U out of square or rectangular tubing.  However what you did came out great.
I was wondering if you used a torch.  It cuts like butter when you get things right.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 10:02:06 pm »
Thanks Ace.
I did not use my cutting torch because I have not bee able to cut very well with it. I even bought a new tip trying to get it to work.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 11:28:26 pm »
I am sure you have seen this same video... not sure i did not post it before. I have been looking for a CD rack. I bought a 35 gal drum and cut down below the first rim but I dont have enough wax to fill it high enough yet. I also defaulted to the turkey fryer for $20 bucks at Academy sports.

In the video I think he states keep the water/wax to a roll... that would definitely be with taking care with the yuggins and adults too :wink: The few I have experimented with, the roll mixes the wax with some water and you get a more even coat vs a thickness that fill the cells entirely and therefore use less wax...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuKM24t3r6M
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:46:45 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
I have not bee able to cut very well with it.
Go to a fabricator and pick their brain.  It requires the right pressure settings for the tip you use.  Then the tip has to be at the right distance.  Next is steady hands.  I usually have to make a guide that holds distance and keeps the tip from shaking all over.  When you get it right you will love the torch.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything