Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Registering your weapons  (Read 13894 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Registering your weapons
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:16:51 pm »
Here in NJ, all weapons must be registered; handguns, rifles, shotguns. We do it because it is how the system works, it falls back to leaving the gun-shops to follow the rule of the law.

If you have a private purchase, it must be done with transfer papers - this one has the fudge-factor where many people who have a rifle they've had for 20 years will be sold for cash, no paperwork filed - not legal, but done. This is people imposing their own "Grandfathered Clauses".

But it is rare that people here will sell a handgun without the seller filing the proper paperwork and only then if the buyer has a valid 90 day permit to purchase a handgun - most people just go to the local gun shop and let them handle the paperwork, as if the seller were from out of state and the gun shop gets its $35 transfer fee and the government gets its $15 for background check.

So given the law, most of weapons here are registered, or should be - that old shotgun your dad left you as an inheritance by law needs you to file for a Firearms ID Card and transfer it into your name, although there likely is no record what so ever of it on file. If you end up using it to defend you home, you sure better have the paperwork or you will likely be arrested for illegal possession.

Do you have mandatory registration now?? Or if it became law how responsive would you be to it? Not trying to pick out those who would buck the system, but being a law abiding gun owner - assumes you are law abiding, even if the rules change and you don't like them.

I imagine most members here would say/agree that how many guns and what type they have is NONE of the Government's business - the 2ND Amendment is to rally against tyranny and showing the government your "hand" is slaughter - they just come with more guns then you and they win.

I do everything as required, likely a product of our State's anti-gun hurdles - mind you, I'm not talking the police, they are very much for personal gun ownership in our state with carry laws (poll results I have seen somewhere) it would make their job easier, but their job is to enforce the law, not enforce their beliefs.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Registering your weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:07:40 pm »
Interesting that NJ can so blatantly disregard the 2nd amendment and the people allow it.
 Rights are natural, not granted by the state. It is the job of the state to protect our rights, so any law that infringes therein is invalid and should be ignored.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »
it's interesting the way the courts have addressed this.  they have not allowed states, or DC, to outlaw gun ownership, but they have left it to the states to decide how to handle gun ownership. 

my state does not require registration, but the fact that there is a background check with purchase means that my ownership is registered if I buy from a firearms dealer.  we have no registration or check for private sales....yet....but our neighbor to the north just passed a law similar to NJ for private purchase.  i find that unfortunate.

registration is a required precursor to confiscation.   guess that's my answer   :angel:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:34:08 pm »
>Do you have mandatory registration now??

No.

>Or if it became law how responsive would you be to it?

I discovered after I moved to Omaha and purchased a gun that it was required.  I registered it.  I moved out of Omaha...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:06:50 pm »
i doubt we'll see any state down here in dixie requiring registration any time soon.  every gun i own was bought from a dealer and there was a federal background check involved..... some how i think big brother could dig up a file listing every gun i've ever bought from a dealer if they needed to.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:07:22 pm »
The Second Amendment limits the power of the Federal government.Powers not granted(Enumerated) to the federal government were reserved to the states and the people. States each have their own Constitutions. Most states Constitutions carry the same protections of the citizenry as the Bill of Rights. Check your states Constitution.

PA section 1
Inherent Rights of Mankind
Section 1.

All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent and indefeasible rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation, and of pursuing their own happiness.

PA section 21
Right to Bear Arms
Section 21.

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Notice no restriction to hunting or type of firearm able to be owned.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 02:17:50 am »
Ken

That last line about hunting - how do they constitute hunting seasons and what game can be hunted when with that line? And are hunting licenses, permits, stamps required and are there limits to game shot? The line just puzzles me, as a conflict due to restriction imposed.

I'm sure it is something like the way you can conceal carry, but require a reoccurring refresher - no one is "stopping you from carrying" but you have to play ball in order to effectively use you Rights.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:25:32 pm »
John,
I had meant that to say that the Constitution of the state of PA does not mention that guns are meant for hunting or other such silliness that the left seems to the think the 2nd amendment to the federal Constitution implies.
Hunting seasons and bag limits are regulated by the PA Game Commission.
Pennsylvania has what they call the castle doctrine, which spells out consequences a would be assailant may face. Here is a part of PAs castle doctrine that was recently expanded to include standing your ground:

Under the new law, a person in any lawful place outside his home ?has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and use force, including deadly force if . . . (he) believes it is immediately necessary to do so to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, or sexual intercourse by force or threat.? (18 PA consolidated statutes 505(b)(2.3)).

This applies to persons in their automobiles.

As far as concealed carry, it also is pretty simple in PA if you are a alw abiding citizen ,as it should be in every state.

OBTAINING A PENNSYLVANIA LTCF
The process for obtaining an LTCF in Pennsylvania is excellent due to the fact that the process is very thorough in making sure that permits are not granted to people that may be irresponsible or pose a danger to others (minors, convicted felons, domestic abusers, etc.) while making it very simple for trustworthy, law-abiding people to obtain one quickly and cheaply.

Pennsylvania LTCF's are available to both residents and non-residents and are valid for 5 years. For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department. It should be noted that permits issued by one county must be honored by all counties including Philadelphia regardless of rumors to the contrary.

The actual application process itself is very simple and consists of acquiring an application, and a passport-sized photo, filling it out, paying the fee (which can vary from county to county) and submitting it. In some counties (such as Philadelphia) the application must be submitted in person and they may do a quick and basic interview. Once the application is received the entity responsible for handling it will do a background check on you and generally verify who you are. They may contact the references you have provided on the application although many times it will not be necessary. Pennsylvania is a "shall-issue" state in regards to LTCF's, meaning the entity processing your application is required to approve it unless they can prove you are disqualified based on the law. This is very important to prevent localities from simply denying people based on political, or prejudicial biases. Additionally by state law the application must be approved or denied in 45 days (although some offices will use "business days"). Again, this is done to prevent localities from claiming they issue permits, but never actually processing them for political or prejudicial reasons.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 09:51:19 pm »
Utah no permit or registration for gun purchase, ownership or ammo purchase.  Federal background check only. 
Private sales are private, no BG check.  Permit for CCW.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Dave86

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 12:27:33 am »
We have had registration in Australia since 1996, after the great stealback.

We have categories for firearms now with semi auto rifles, pump and semi shotguns being restricted and all other requiring a genuine reason for purchase and use.

In QLD where I live, most have a Cat A,B and H license, I know a few with Cat C and I know 1 or 2 with Cat D

Category A weapons

(1)    Each of the following is a category A weapon if it has not been rendered  permanently inoperable-

a) a miniature cannon under 120 cm in barrel length that is a black powder and muzzle loading cannon, depicting a scale model of an historical artillery piece or naval gun;
b) an air rifle;
c) a blank-fire firearm at least 75 cm in length;
d) a rimfire rifle (other than a self-loading rimfire rifle);
e) a single or double barrel shotgun;
f) a powerhead.

(2)     A conversion unit is also a category A weapon.

(3)   In this section-- "conversion unit" means a unit or device or barrel that is capable of being used for converting a category A weapon that is a firearm from one calibre to another calibre.

Category B weapons

(1)    Each of the following is a category B weapon if it has not been rendered  permanently inoperable--

a) a muzzle-loading firearm;
b) a single shot centre fire rifle;
c) a double barrel centre fire rifle;
d) a repeating centre fire rifle;
e) a break action shotgun and rifle combination.

(2)     A conversion unit is also a category A weapon.

(3)    In this section-- "conversion unit" means a unit or device or barrel that is capable of being used for converting a category B weapon that is a firearm from one calibre to another calibre.

Category C weapons

Each of the following is a category C weapon if it has not been rendered permanently inoperable?

a) a semiautomatic rimfire rifle with a magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds;
b) a semiautomatic shotgun with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds;
c) a pump action shotgun with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds.

Category D weapons

(1) Each of the following is a category D weapon?

a) a self-loading centre fire rifle designed or adapted for military purposes or a firearm that substantially duplicates a rifle of that type in design, function or appearance;
b) a non-military style self-loading centre fire rifle with either an integral or detachable magazine;
c) a self-loading shotgun with either an integral or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 5 rounds and a pump action shotgun with a capacity of more than 5 rounds;
d) a self-loading rimfire rifle with a magazine capacity of more than
 10 rounds.
(2)  Subsection (1) applies to a weapon mentioned in the subsection even  if the weapon is permanently inoperable.

Category E weapons

A bulletproof vest or protective body vest or body armour designed to prevent the penetration of small arms projectiles is a category E weapon.

Category H weapons

(1) A firearm, including an air pistol and a blank-fire firearm, under 75 cm in length, other than a powerhead, is a category H weapon, regardless of whether it has been rendered permanently inoperable;

(2) A conversion unit is also a category H weapon;

(3) This section does not apply to a powerhead or category C, D or R weapon;

(4) In this section-- "conversion unit" means a unit or device or barrel that is capable of being used for converting a category H weapon that is a firearm from one calibre to another calibre.

For schedule 2 of the Act, each of the following comprises a class of category H weapon?

(a) an air pistol;
(b) a centre-fire pistol with a calibre of not more than .38 inch or a black-powder pistol;
(c) a centre-fire pistol with a calibre of more than .38 inch but not more than .45 inch;
(d) a rim-fire pistol.

Category M weapons

Each of the following is a category M weapon--

(a) any clothing, apparel, accessory or article designed to disguise any weapon or other cutting or piercing instrument capable of causing bodily harm;

(b) any of the following that is primarily designed for the control of native or feral animals-

(i)  an antipersonnel gas of a corrosive, noxious or irritant nature or that is capable of causing bodily harm and any weapon capable of discharging the gas by any means;

(ii)  an antipersonnel substance of a corrosive, noxious or irritant nature or that is capable of causing bodily harm and any weapon capable of discharging the substance by any means;

(c) any knife so designed or constructed so as to be used as a weapon that while the knife is held in  hand, the blade may be released by that hand;

(d) any clothing, apparel, adornment or accessory designed for use as a weapon or a cutting or piercing instrument capable of causing bodily harm;

(e) any incendiary or inflammable device containing any substance capable of causing bodily harm or damage to property that is primarily designed for vegetation management;

(f) any pistol crossbow designed to be discharged by the use of 1 hand (that is not a toy pistol crossbow) that when discharged is capable of causing damage or injury to property or capable of causing bodily harm;

(g) any crossbow designed to be discharged by the use of 2 hands that, when discharged, is capable of causing damage or injury to property or capable of causing bodily harm;

(h) a Chinese throwing iron that is a hard non-flexible plate having 3 or more radiating points with 1 or more sharp edges in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or geometric shape and constructed or designed to be thrown as a weapon;

(i) a flail or similar device constructed and designed as a weapon consisting of in part a striking head and which, if used offensively against a person, is capable of causing bodily harm;

(j) a device known as a 'manrikiguisari' or 'kusari', consisting of a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a geometrically shaped weight or handgrip and constructed or designed for use as a weapon;

(k) a device known as a knuckleduster or any device made or adapted for use as a knuckleduster and which, if used offensively against a person, is capable of causing bodily harm;

(l) a weighted glove designed or constructed to be used as a weapon;

(m) a mace or any similar article (other than a ceremonial mace made for and used solely as a symbol of authority on ceremonial occasions); and/or;

(n) any device, not a toy, constructed or designed as a telescopic baton, the extension of which is actuated by the operation of a mechanical trigger.

Category R weapons

Each of the following is a category R weapon--

(a) a machine gun or submachine gun that is fully automatic in its operation and actuated by energy developed when it is being fired or has multiple revolving barrels, and any replica or facsimile of a machine gun or submachine gun that is not a toy;

(b) a unit or device that is capable of being used for converting any firearm to a weapon mentioned in paragraph (a);

(c) a firearm capable of firing 50 calibre BMG cartridge ammunition;

(d) an antipersonnel gas, and an antipersonnel substance, of a corrosive, noxious or irritant nature or that is capable of causing bodily harm, and any weapon capable of discharging the gas or substance by any means, other than a gas or substance and any weapon capable of discharging the gas or substance that is primarily designed for the control of native or feral animals;

(e) an acoustical antipersonnel device of an intensity that is capable of causing bodily harm;

(f) an electrical antipersonnel device of an intensity that is capable of causing bodily harm;

(g) a hand grenade, other than an inert hand grenade, and an antipersonnel
 mine;
(h) a silencer or other device or contrivance made or used, or capable of being used, or intended to be used, for reducing the sound caused by discharging a firearm;

(i) a rocket launcher, recoilless rifle, antitank rifle, a bazooka or a rocket propelled grenade type launcher;

(j) a mortar, all artillery and any incendiary or inflammable device containing any substance capable of causing bodily harm or damage to property, other than an incendiary or inflammable device primarily designed for vegetation management.

Restricted Item

The following items are restricted items for section 67 of the Act--

(a) handcuffs, thumbcuffs or other similar restraints;

(b) nunchaku or kung-fu sticks or any similar device which consists of 2 hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes or rods connected by a length of rope, cord, wire or chain constructed or designed to be used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defence and which, if used offensively against a person, is or are capable of causing bodily harm;

(c) a billy club, a baton or any device constructed or designed as a telescopic baton, not being a toy or a category M weapon, that if used is capable of causing bodily harm;

(d) any studded glove which if used offensively against a person is capable of causing bodily harm.

Last Updated
 25/08/2014

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:22 pm »
Thanks for posting this, I never knew there were so many things that could be considered a weapon. I guess a can of bug spray is out and God forbid spray glue, that's a flame thrower in the wrong hands.

Good info.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 12:15:12 am »
registration is a required precursor to confiscation.  kathtp

You are absolutely correct.

All local, state and Fed law enforcement has access to your gun registration.  They are not supposed to but they do. 

When it time comes, if it does, the conceal carry and registered guns will be the first to be rounded up by the police.  Do not kid your self about the power of the government. 

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 05:32:27 am »
Here in NJ, all weapons must be registered; handguns, rifles, shotguns. We do it because it is how the system works, it falls back to leaving the gun-shops to follow the rule of the law.

If you have a private purchase, it must be done with transfer papers - this one has the fudge-factor where many people who have a rifle they've had for 20 years will be sold for cash, no paperwork filed - not legal, but done. This is people imposing their own "Grandfathered Clauses".

But it is rare that people here will sell a handgun without the seller filing the proper paperwork and only then if the buyer has a valid 90 day permit to purchase a handgun - most people just go to the local gun shop and let them handle the paperwork, as if the seller were from out of state and the gun shop gets its $35 transfer fee and the government gets its $15 for background check.

So given the law, most of weapons here are registered, or should be - that old shotgun your dad left you as an inheritance by law needs you to file for a Firearms ID Card and transfer it into your name, although there likely is no record what so ever of it on file. If you end up using it to defend you home, you sure better have the paperwork or you will likely be arrested for illegal possession.

Do you have mandatory registration now?? Or if it became law how responsive would you be to it? Not trying to pick out those who would buck the system, but being a law abiding gun owner - assumes you are law abiding, even if the rules change and you don't like them.

I imagine most members here would say/agree that how many guns and what type they have is NONE of the Government's business - the 2ND Amendment is to rally against tyranny and showing the government your "hand" is slaughter - they just come with more guns then you and they win.

I do everything as required, likely a product of our State's anti-gun hurdles - mind you, I'm not talking the police, they are very much for personal gun ownership in our state with carry laws (poll results I have seen somewhere) it would make their job easier, but their job is to enforce the law, not enforce their beliefs.
OK then what constitutes a weapon? Isn't a kitchen knife just as deadly without requiring ammo? Perhaps it requires close proximity but it is just as lethal. By the logic of requiring gun registration they could require you to register just about anything. Maybe that is why they require car registration.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:05 pm »
I made a potato cannon for my kids.
Registration was required.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 10:50:00 pm »
Perhaps it requires close proximity but it is just as lethal. By the logic of requiring gun registration they could require you to register just about anything.

don't laugh.  to buy a sharp kitchen kitchen knife in England, you must sign for it and be over 18.  you can't carry something as simple as a pocket knife with a blade more than 3 inches and you can't carry a locking knife..it's for your own good, you know?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:05 am »
I always figured one of the deadlier weapons is the baseball bat... I think you should have to be 18 to handle one and have a license...  probably have a training certificate to prove you can handle it safely...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 12:15:34 pm »
I made a potato cannon for my kids.
Registration was required.
I made a potato gun... I would never register something like that even if it is "required" It is just PVC pipes and fittings with a couple screws through it with a grill ignition system. That said a friend of mine had one that he was using until it got wet enough that it stopped working. He left it by his garage and the next morning went to put it away. He hit the button and boom.... I seem to remember something about always treat a gun as if it were loaded always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction... Was a good thing he headed that... scared the crap out of him.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »
I always figured one of the deadlier weapons is the baseball bat... I think you should have to be 18 to handle one and have a license...  probably have a training certificate to prove you can handle it safely...
What about golf clubs? I think Tiger Woods should register his clubs...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 12:20:49 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »
We used to put dry ice and water in 2 liter bottles and put the cap on.  They blew up nicely.  Recently someone in Omaha was arrested for doing that.  Something about it being an explosive device.  Well, I don't know if I would call it a "device" but they were pretty explosive.  A lot of fun on the 4th of July...  I'm kind of hesitant to do it anymore... soon you'll have to have a licence to buy dry ice...
-------------------