Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: USDA VSH Breeder Queens  (Read 7901 times)

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
USDA VSH Breeder Queens
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:30:46 am »
Does anyone have any experience with USDA VSH Breeder Queens ? I was thinking of getting one. Kris Hotlhaus in Fort Collins has some that have been instrumentally inseminated. They run $200, She also has overwintered USDA VSH II Breeder Queens  for $150. And she has open mated VSH production queens for only $35.

I have just done some grafts for the first time and I had a lot of fun in the process. I used a my own best queen. I thought that as long as I am going to continue doing queen rearing I might as well use good stock, and something might be a recognizable line.

Any thoughts?

Alfred

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Re: USDA VSH Breeder Queens
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:56:28 am »
Well I got no responses so I decided to just go ahead and get one. I'll be picking her up tomorrow. Going out to prepare a nuc for her today. I decided to get one of the instrumentally inseminated USDA VSH Breeder Queens. Very excited! The supplier, Kris Holthaus, says I can begin grafting from her in a couple of weeks!

Alfred

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:58:29 pm »
Keep us updated Alfred.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:45:21 pm »
I you going to use a large screen cage over emerging brood for the introduction?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:57:14 pm »
don't freak out when you see a shotgun brood pattern.  my understanding is that's what you get from those breeder queens.  it's what they're supposed to do.  definitely keep this thread going.
i've thought about getting one but i see the vsh trait in my stock already.  now i'm more interested in the mite biters vance mentioned in another thread.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:00 am »
Be on the lookout for supercedure cells the first couple of rounds of brood.
Push in cage over emerging brood for introduction. Good luck!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:05:28 pm »
don't freak out when you see a shotgun brood pattern.  my understanding is that's what you get from those breeder queens.  it's what they're supposed to do.  definitely keep this thread going.
i've thought about getting one but i see the vsh trait in my stock already.  now i'm more interested in the mite biters vance mentioned in another thread.

Rob,
Why would they have a poor brood pattern? One of my future plans is to purchase an artifically inseminated VHS NWC breeder queen. In reality, I'm a long way from having the Q Rearing skills. Still a plan.
Later,
Ray

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:48:31 pm »
They will have a great brood pattern, but they will also uncap and remove pupae with mites on them, and THEN the brood pattern looks aweful, but its not the queens fault.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »
Yes, I was told to expect a spotty brood pattern and to keep an eye out for superceedure.

I currently have her in a 5 frame nuc so locating eggs and new larve shouldn't be too difficult.

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 02:34:28 pm »
I have a year old VSH II breeder from Vpqueens and have been very happy with her and the F1 daughter queens I've raised from her. I agree with you if you are going to raise queens you might as well start off with some good stock. Let us know how it goes for you.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 05:41:21 pm »
They will have a great brood pattern, but they will also uncap and remove pupae with mites on them, and THEN the brood pattern looks aweful, but its not the queens fault.
^^^^^^

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:37 am »
I wish I would have seen this before I ordered a couple more queens today. I work up in Cheyenne frequently - may I ask how to get ahold of Kris?

and yes, I'm hopelessly lost - in Castle Rock - (can't seem to update my profile)

nevermind..
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Brandy12

• Brood
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 09:20:09 am »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:55:03 am by Robo »

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »
Thank you.  I ordered a couple of the BeeWeaver (Buckfast cross) Queens as the Buckfast line has always done very well for me here. The first (and last) time I got some, I saw horrible acceptance rates - 2 out of 8, as I recall, but those two did quite well - untreated for years. I've always built my new queen splits the same way - 1 medium of brood & stores, over a double screen.

The other Texas line has done much better as far as acceptance - high 90%'s at worst, & usually 100%. However, I hate chems, and that seems to be a real problem with them - ~50% (untreated) colony losses per year.

If these two don't work out I'll definitely be in touch sooner than later.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:13:29 pm by Colobee »
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline ScituateMA

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:10 pm »
Any updates about this queen?

anything