Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Africanized Honeybee Infographic - Stats & Facts  (Read 14302 times)

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
    • Pro Pacific Bee Removal Website
Africanized Honeybee Infographic - Stats & Facts
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
I want to share this infographic (such a neat way to present information) on Africanized Honeybees with you all. It includes visual representation of statistics and facts received from credible sources. Each fact is linked to the source where it was derived. Also, If you would like to embed the infographic on your site there is a simple embed code at the bottom of the page that you can copy & paste to your website. Thank you!

Africanized Honeybee Infographic

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
Re: Africanized Honeybee Infographic - Stats & Facts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:52:49 pm »
Sounds like an "alarmist" to me. :shock:

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:40:08 pm »
Africanized bees don't concern me.  I've got a bunch of Russian girls that would eat them alive, and I don't even want to think about the cut-out I did two years ago.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:24:45 pm »
There have been really hot bees here in the US for a couple of hundred years now. 

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:02:39 am »
" Africanized Honeybees are moving north at a rate of 100 - 300 miles per year. "

Ah, that is wrong.  They were moving at that rate from south america until they moved into climates that do not support their inability to cluster.  They have moved about.  They have moved about 800 miles north since 1990 from the southern part of Texas to southern Kansas.  In 21 years they have then averaged about 38 miles of travel north. 

We move bees from the south to the north and east to west and vise verse every year.  Im sure AHB have seen almost every state in the lower 48 and have cast swarms.  Im not very worried about them being an issue here in Wisconsin because if they could survive here they would already be established.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:43:39 am »
What a wonderful site!

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline ORoedel

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »
I would like to "correct" a little bit this site:
It WAS NOT an accident, it was planned! Kerr distributed hundreds of queens to brazilian beekeepers. Later, the hell was done, he invented the lie it was an accident, and the guilty was his assistent.
Exist an interview with one of the assistents of Kerr, this guy told a VERY different story. He said Kerr put the african queens on the entrance of the hive and waited what happend. He was very angry about that queens who could not substitute the european queen. He stepped on the thrown out queens. But the queens who were successfull, means who killed the european queen, he used for queen creation.
He knows about the biology of the african queens, he knows they invade hives and kill the original queen, he knows what this means for beekeeping!
Kerr isn´t an scientist, he is a deamon! And the brazilian government helped him and until today tells the world one of the biggest lie of the hiostory!

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:24:34 pm »
Oroedel,
Do you have any links to articles, or interviews from people involved, I would find it very interesting
Bob

Offline ORoedel

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »
I will ask for the interview, you speak portugues?

This african bee "history" is very complicated.

Brasil and all universities and govern institutes, even the non govern, keep the lie. That means nothing official!
The reason for this is simple:
1. Brazil made the bleep, and to clean this will be a shame and expencive.
2. There is no real interest in beekeeping, even if the govern is throwing a lot of money in beekeeping it's more to say "we do something". But realy they do nothing.
3. Corruption. The african beekeepers and the govern works well togehter.

Other countries like to accept the brazilian lie.

I studied a lot the african bee, had more than 100 hives of them, and really lived with them. They are robbers, parasites and killers.

If you read the old books of brazilian (in fact german) beekeepers who lived in the time of Kerrs crime, you will get a lot of interesting facts.

Today we have another problem: the "bio" beekeepers (not all of them), but there are people who think natural beekeeping don't need any work and care of the beekeeper (like Perone). With "natural" bees don't exist varroa and other illness.
And official the african bees are resistant versus everything! Official, in real live they die, but tell this to the local beekeepers they kill you.
The fact is: the african bee leaves the hive if something goes wrong. They don't die in theire hive! They leave and die later in another (invaded)hive.
The bio hype with theire fanatics doesn't have fundamental idea of bee biology and beekeeping. That's a problem, cause basically we need a beekeeping more natural and less industrial, but not with strange ideas.
The african bee is highly infected with varroa! But the most beekeepers visit her only to rob the honey there is no treatment. For every bee in a hive have hundreds bees in nature. The african bee is small, very small, use a small cellsize and the cell size decrease rapidly (cause of the high production of bees, not honey). AND there is varroa and nosemose and....
The fanatic "bio" beekeepers don't like me, cause of this statement:
Brasil have millions of african bee swarm naturally on small cells. Never treated, never selected, totally free and naturally and dies and dies and dies.
The biggest "labority study" is Brazil! Millions of "natural" bees infected with varroa.
The advantage of the african bee is, die one swarm, have 100 new swarms. This is the nature of the survival strategy. But which real beekeeper want a bee who produce dozens of swarms, but nothing of honey? Who wants a bee which kills everything near her hive? The swarms she produce invades bee hives and they kill the existing queen. This swarm are leaded by virgin queens!
This is a complicated discussion. like everything in live keep the "balance" is the right way. We need to respect more the nature, but this includes to work on solutions. It is not a solution let the bees die and call the surviving swarm "resistent". This is not creation this is chaos!
We need to select serious our bees to more healthy bees. But i mean SELECT. Let nature do the work will not, or better, could work, but we will have a great problem with bee loss and at the end we will keeping bees who will not produce honey. And what the most people forget, nature resolve for us, but the time it will take... Nature have time, a lot of time to resolve, we did not, we need polinisation!

Now i made a lot of friends here i guess :-)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:08:41 am »
I like the way you hit the nail on the head. All I got to say :) don2

Offline tedlemay

• House Bee
  • When You Get Where Your Going That's Where You Are
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:07:27 pm »
The map seems to suggest all of the south has been africaized but to my knowledge Alabama has yet to find killer bees, Georgia just found their first. Not sure about Mississippi. From what i have been told some of our feral stock would give them a run for their money on meaness. Allthough the feral stock seem to be pretty good at making honey.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »
The original post seems to be designed to cause alarm about bees.  And drive up the price for removal as they are in the removal business. 
If any one is interested, you are more likely to die from being hit on the head by a falling coconut than by an attack from an ANB.
The number of people killed by a certified AHB attack in Florida to date is one.  He was an old man that could not run and he was stung 50 times.  Not 5000 not 500 but 50.  He was hypo allergic and would have died from one sting.
People running off at the mouth about "KILLER BEES" need to take a break.  They don't do the hobby any good.
Regards
Joe

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
    • Pro Pacific Bee Removal Website
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »
Hello everybody,

Thanks for your comments! It is our intention to provide accurate information on the graphic. We have recently modified the map to follow how the USDA has recorded the presence of AHB in the U.S. - http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11059&page=6

Here is the link to the revised infographic - http://www.propacificbee.com/infographic/AHB/index.phpAfricanized Bee Infographic

Also, the facts on this graphic are not our own or made up by us. You can click on the text of the fact to find where the information was derived. If you can provide links to the credible sources of your statements, we can review and adjust our infographic accordingly. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:17:43 pm by ProPacific »

Offline ORoedel

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:03:43 am »
Don´t know it´s of interest, but DNA tests in Brazil shows the africanized bee isn´t africanized but african (scutellata).
Even in regions near argentinia (ligustica dominant).
You have US studies with DNA analysis of the purity of scutellata?

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:20 am »
Thats of interest to me.  I have wondered if there was any euro in ahb at all or if they were total African and now I know.  That fact alone to me proves that there should be more ahb genetics brought in to ahb areas of scutellata that is not as vicious.  There is absolutely no reason why we should not try to make the best of scutellata where they dominate the region.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline ORoedel

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 07:04:15 am »
Sorry but, don´t do this :-)
Scutellata is dangerous, not varroa resistant, invades other hives and produces more bees than honey.
The reason of this fact is that the scutellata queen is 1 day faster in desinvolvment than europeans.

Sure if you have controlled european hives in the region, the african will be europeanized.
This is the reason why it is important to control your queens. If you let them requeen "naturally" Scutellata genes will invade and in some generations the european bee is a pure african. That´s the strategy of survive of this bee.

Don´t "dance with the deamon"!
1. This bee ins´t a honey bee. No use for beekeeping.
2. Isn´t varroa resistant or tolerant against "agressive" varroa type.
3. You will complicate the work of other beekeepers.
4. Your and other lifes will be in risk!

Offline ORoedel

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 09:08:01 pm »
Now it´s oficial: Scutellata isn´t varroa resistente/tolerant. After loosing hundred of thousands of colonies the brazilian can´t stand the lie!
We knew this for years but were stoned saying the truth, know the brazilian "beekeepers" put the brazilian govern under pressure and they publicated a "new" study and changed their speaking. Now the "beekeeper" has to use oxalic acid to treat the colonies.

http://www.fbb.org.br/tecnologiasoci...nologia-43.htm

"Com as aplicações de tecnologia na apicultura, nas últimas décadas, nas abelhas africanizadas, detectou-se que as mesmas não traziam resultados satisfatórios. Em 2007, a Acap consegui comprovar que a Varroa destructor causa prejuízos às colmeias de abelhas africanizadas. Testes realizados com tratamento de ácido oxálico durante dois anos, tiveram como resultado menor perda de colmeias e maior produtividade quando comparado com colmeias não tratadas contra a Varroa. A partir de 2009, mostrou-se que a nossa abelha africanizada realmente tem problemas sanitários devido às altas perdas registradas nacionalmente. Muitos pesquisadores apontam os agrotóxicos, poluição ambiental, doenças viróticas e bacterianas como principal causa das perdas. A nossa experiência mostra que, se conseguirmos manter a infestação da Varroa baixa nas colmeias, conseguimos impedir doenças e futuras perdas de abelha. Infelizmente, controlar a Varroa hoje é um desafio para apicultura no mundo todo. De muitas formas de controle existentes, uma se destacou nos últimos anos: o uso do ácido oxálico gasificado. O desafio da Acap foi adaptar esta tecnologia para a realidade da nossa apicultura"

English translation via Google Translate:
With the applications of technology in beekeeping , in recent decades , the Africanized bees , it was found that the same did not bring satisfactory results . In 2007, ACAP could prove that the Varroa destructor causes damage to the hives of Africanized bees . Tests conducted with treatment of oxalic acid for two years , resulted in less loss of hives and increased productivity when compared with untreated hives against Varroa . starting in 2009 , proved that our Africanized bee really have health problems due to high losses recorded nationally . Several researchers point out pesticides , environmental pollution , viral and bacterial diseases as the main cause of losses . our experience shows that if we can keep the infestation of Varroa low in hives , could prevent future diseases and bee losses . Unfortunately , control Varroa is now a challenge for beekeeping worldwide in many existing forms of control, one stood out in recent years . . using oxalic acid gasified the challenge of ACAP was to adapt this technology to the reality of our beekeeping "
Edit by Buzzbee to include English translation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:48:02 pm by buzzbee »

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:38 am »
everything one sees, hears is propaganda our Gov, our big business have a plan. To socially engineer the world. they control the radio, TV, and print, not so much internet. for what other reason would they produce and stockpile millions of plastic coffins. or buy millions of rounds of hollow point bullets? (designed to expload without powder in the projectile, they kill).  they have done these things.
jay