Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sandhill cranes  (Read 5473 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Sandhill cranes
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:29:19 pm »
These two hang around at our new rental home. These things are crazy loud and the big ones are over 4 feet tall!

A friend of mine has a mated pair in his yard that tap on his windows every morning looking for a hand out. They got so aggressive about it that they actually broke out a window one morning! Needless to say, he found out the hard way not to feed wild animals.

Sandhill cranes.wmv

Enjoy!
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Sandhill cranes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:07:19 pm »
Hey Scott, what they taste like buddy?  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:13:43 am »
Hey Scott, what they taste like buddy?  :-D

...JP

They taste a lot like great blue heron.   ;)
Rick

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:02:55 am »
It's all "swamp chicken" to me :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:32:04 pm »
Cool video, thanks for sharing!  Those are some crazy birds!!
Rick

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »
We hunt the Cranes here. They come in large flocks and they are loud. I have never ate one but the people that do say they are really greasy.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »
Father in law was the big boss on a catfish farm here and he encouraged us to go out and shoot the cranes and snakes off the ponds.

I can tell you a crane is one hard bird to kill. Shawn I don't know what you hunt them with but a .22 has little effect on them. I shot one I know 6 time to finally kill it.

I have a buddy that hit one with his truck busted the windshield out and the bird flew off.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 07:56:07 pm »
Why would you hunt these birds? Seems it would be illegal as well, at least somewhere.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »
Google how to hunt cranes and see how many hunt sites pop up.  Looks like there are a bunch of places to hunt them.  Loud birds, maybe that is why they hunt them.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 01:51:34 am »
They are on a pond not far from where I keep my bee hives. I enjoy watching them but this is the first time I have actually heard them. Thanks for sharing Scott.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 09:34:20 am »
Don't believe I'll be looking up how to hunt cranes any time soon. I don't hunt what I don't eat. Sounds like they are mostly fish eating birds by the sound of it, greasy. They seem like pretty cool birds albeit a little loud.

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:53:50 am »
JP, they mostly eat grubs and other insects from what I've seen...they're always picking at the ground and they don't stand waiting in shallow water like the other cranes and herons do.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 10:01:52 am »
I didn't look up their food preferences Scott. Was thinking fishy when greasy was mentioned. Still they don't sound like they'd be that edible. Pretty neat birds IMO.

...JP

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:06:47 am »
Ones we hunted eat fish and if you are a fish farmer.
Well its like a beekeepers hunting skunks or bear.
Except the fish farmer can actually watch his adversary fly away with a dollar bills in its mouth everyday.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:36 pm »
Jp, here in Colorado it is legal to Hunt the Sandhill Cranes. You can harvest 3 birds a day and have a possession of 6. I have not yet shot one because I am like you, if I kill it I eat it. Sorry if my first post sounded like that. The crane population here is very high in the fall and spring, hundreds making it up into the thousands depending on the weather. We have people from all over coming to shoot a crane mostly for taxidermy. I have never seen a SandHill Crane along the shores of the lakes or ponds due to they eat insects and stuff from the fields.

Haddon, In Colorado it is illegal to shoot the cranes with a .22. Most people will use a 12ga with BB or bigger.