Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What Are People Using To Melt Large Quantities of Beeswax For Candles?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline JackInCT

• New Bee
Hi,
First, I'm a home user hobbyist candle maker.  I use a double boiler (a pour pot set inside a pot full of water) set up to melt the wax.  I would like to speed up the process as well as melt larger quantities of wax.  All I've been able to find via a web search is converting a consumer electric pot (with a thermostat) to melting wax by the insertion (via the drilling of a hole in its side) of a spigot that you would find at a home improvement center plumbing dept.   That would work of course, but, via this post, I'm wondering if there are more "elegant" solutions being used short of going the route of a commercial wax melter.  Thanks Jack

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: What Are People Using To Melt Large Quantities of Beeswax For Candles?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:47 pm »
I use a turkey fryer type propane burner with a large pot set inside a HUGE pot to set up a double boiler system. I've actually been dipping tapers this week for Christmas gifts with it. You need to be very careful with the water (even the steam) as any moisture at all on the wick will cause the candle to crackle and sputter when burned. I might do a short video this weekend.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JackInCT

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:24:39 am »
Hi AllenF,

Thank you for posting this video.   I've seen this video before (a few times).  A steam table which appears to be the major device for his bulk melting is NOT an inexpensive piece of equipment, and while, based on my local restaurant supply businesses, they do have, on occasion, used items which are less expensive, BUT whether they have such an item (since steam tables come in quite a variety of sizes) on hand is a hit and miss proposition.   It appears that anyone would be hard pressed to find a NEW commercial steam table, AND the smallest size that is made, for under $500 (and it likely does not come with a stand, an insert pan, etc.,).  IF a NEW steam table is as expensive as it appears to be, it appears to me that going the route of a commercial wax melter would be just as cost effective.

There is one thing that really puzzles me about this man and his candle making techniques, and that is his lack of concern re a pour temp.  As a novice (approaching the end of my 1st year of candle making), just about all the tutorials specify using a thermometer to reach a predefined given temp; and when you factor in the time spent when using dyes and scent oils, and however minimal the time spent really is in mixing those into the melted wax, the temp does drop as you're doing so.   Novices, I think (and everyone, I presume, experiences the voids and contractions that typically occur with beeswax, to include making relief holes [AKA vent holes] as part of their candle making technique), are hard pressed NOT to resort to a VERY mechanical formula approach to candle making, and to presume that pour temp is critical re keeping the voids "at bay".

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:10:05 pm »
fry daddy
to bee or not to bee

Offline JackInCT

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »
fry daddy

Yes, a deep fryer would do the job, and they come in a wide range of capacities (volume).  Mine has a setting for 150 F (and up), and I could readily test it at its lowest setting by using water and a digital thermometer to see what heat range it cycles through as it heats up (you never want the wax to get anywhere near its flash point temp). 

That leaves the question of how to get the melted wax out.  The home made spigot setup via drilling a hole in the side (bottom) area, runs the risk of leaking, even using a rubber washer.  I have no idea if the spigot could be welded to the frame of a fryer which would avoid using a washer to seal the spigot.  BUT, would the spigot ever have the wax harden inside it; if so, a heat gun could melt that, but you COULD face flash point issues. 

That would leave using a ladle or a dipper option (and things like Pyrex measuring cups) to spoon out the melted wax into a pour pot (ladles & dippers are two different types of items in the world of commercial restaurant supplies; there are “flat bottom” ladles and dippers, and quite a range of capacities; insulated handles abound); but you could NOT get to the very bottom of the fryer with a ladle or dipper (example: a flat bottom 16 oz ladle sides are somewhere around +2" high), so you would have to adjust the quantity of the melted wax to take that into consideration for a given candle mold/jar’s capacity.  Using a pour pot via the spigot, or ladle/dipper, set up would allow you to add dyes and scent oils into it rather than to the fryer, i. e., the fryer would be pristine melted wax, although you certainly could clean it out to near perfect condition with paper towels if you would be willing to do the work involved after pouring dye/scent oil into it.

Melted wax hardens up really quickly at “normal” room temp; so when you start putting room temp ladles, measuring cups, etc., into the melted wax, and then into room temp pour pots, some amount of the wax will harden on those items.  One of the big pluses for the double boiler method is that the pour pot has also been heated up.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »
You said hobbyist so before I watched the video I was going to suggest microwave.  You can also use a hot bath where you boil water and put it in a tub where you can place your Pyrex measuring cup in to keep it from cooling to fast.  It would just be a thermal mass bath.  After reading all you post I am not sure what you are looking for.

Melted wax hardens up really quickly at “normal” room temp; so when you start putting room temp ladles, measuring cups, etc., into the melted wax, and then into room temp pour pots, some amount of the wax will harden on those items.  One of the big pluses for the double boiler method is that the pour pot has also been heated up. 

A lot would depend on the molds being use.  Wood, ceramic, silicone or metal will have different cooling characteristics.  Ladles can be place in the hot wax for a spell, which will bring them up to temp.  Here again it is going to depend on what the material of the ladle is.  Everybody has their own convenience factor for what they are looking for and also their own budget.  The budget usually takes precedence.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 12:34:16 am »
You can use an electric hot plate with a thermostat to melt the wax in your pour cup.

I use a double boiler (a pour pot set inside a pot full of water) set up to melt the wax.  I would like to speed up the process as well as melt larger quantities of wax.

Define 'larger quantities'.  Use bigger pots in your double boiler.  I know a lady who makes quite a few candles.  She uses a big stock pot as the boiler pot, with a pot that will hold a gallon of melted wax inside it.  She dips wax out with a cup, and pours candles with that cup.

Find a cheap percolator coffee pot at a yard sale.  Experiment.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
Find a cheap percolator coffee pot at a yard sale. Experiment.

I would think a percolator is to concentrated heating element.

Not for nothing you could grab one of these at Wally world cheap if you are into making candles

http://www.comfortchannel.com/level.itml/icOid/2074

Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:18:37 pm »
I would think a percolator is to concentrated heating element.

Huh?  What are you talking about?  It doesn't get hot enough to boil the water away.  How would it be too concentrated of a heating element to melt wax, when it doesn't even boil water?

Getting the spigot cleaned after using it would likely be your biggest hassle.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:30:23 am »
How would it be too concentrated of a heating element to melt wax, when it doesn't even boil water?

If it doesn't boil water than how does it percolate water up the spout?  It boils water from a concentrated heat source at the bottom of the spout.  It might work but it would be the last thing I would try.  Besides why re invent the wheel when you can get a cheap wax bath designed for such a task anywhere?  People throw these things away or at least give them away at tag sale prices.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:45 pm »
you can get a cheap wax bath designed for such a task anywhere?  People throw these things away or at least give them away at tag sale prices.

That probably explains why I've never heard of a wax bath...

The only thing google is bringing up is some paraffin therapy.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:48 am »
The only thing google is bringing up is some paraffin therapy.

That is what they are used for.  Did you go to the link I provided?  They were a hot item (no pun intended) 5 or 10 years ago.  They are like a tread mill.  People buy them in January use them once or twice and then become furnature that collects dust.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:44 pm »
That is what they are used for.  Did you go to the link I provided?

I just looked at the link you provided in a previous post.  (I didn't read it before because you didn't bother to give any info about the link - just here, look at this)

Once again, it was just for some paraffin therapy stuff.

Now that I have looked at it, would you please tell me how that could be useful for making candles?  Because they won't melt beeswax...

(Hint: Paraffin wax bath heaters only heat to 125-135 degrees.)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:33:07 am »
I like Hardwoods setup, it’s got the BTUs for a quick melt and it’s got the water boiler for safety.  

If dipping the wax out is the problem, maybe try an inner pot/pail with a handle.  When the wax is melted and ready for your candles, pick the inner pail up by the handle, carry it to your molds and pour.  The pail in the photo is a 2.5 gallon bucket. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:09 am »
(Hint: Paraffin wax bath heaters only heat to 125-135 degrees.)

Well that answers it.  You would have to change the thermostat.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:30 am »
In case anybody wants to see how to destroy a perfectly good crock pot, here is a photo:

The full story is here:

http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/

Seeing the guy drill into the side of a perfectly good crock pot gives me an odd feeling of pain  :-\

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:08 am »
An electric frying pan is exactly the same control.  Put vegetable oil in it (like a double boiler) and then use any pot for the wax.  This way you can use any size pot you want.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:46 pm »
Ace, I agree an electric frying pan as a boiler would work, but I suspect a full sized pot in a pot design would give you better transfer of heat since you would have a larger surface area for the heat (hot water) to act on.   Did you see the big wax dipper in Deknows photos?  That looked pretty cool!  Looks like they are also using insulation to hold the heat in, another good idea.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_t_b6U_NDhMw/R8xFt9fR8YI/AAAAAAAAAQM/mZfMHymzr6Y/s720/IMG_1457.JPG

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »
In the case of a normal ceramic crock pot I would agree with you because the heating elements or on the side but the aluminum one posted is just a heating element on the bottom no different than the frying pan.  The oil between the frying pan and a pot is pretty efficient heat transfer.  The bigger pots where they are using a board would have a lot of heat loss because of their size.

I am wondering why the wax is not laid up on a web and then just passed through the embossing dies.  Seems like a lot of manual labor with the boards.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything