Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coates 5-Frame Nuc  (Read 98758 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Simple 5 frame nuc plans
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40:14 am »
Drew, Robo great design.

Robo,

You’ve probably mentioned on some post what software you are using for your layout drawings, but it didn’t pop up when I attempted a search.  I like it!  Can you tell us what software you’re using?  Yeah, I’ve been bitten by the kerf space on a few of my designs over the years  :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 09:23:21 pm »
If your looking for a layout program, I'd take a look at Sheet Layout.  It looks pretty promising for the price.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 12:25:14 am »
I grabbed the robo download in PDF. I overkilled the first nuc I built. And since I was interested in going for moderate growth and selling a couple/few nucs a year, a quick 'mass production' model would be a lot of help.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline RAWMAWTAW

• Brood
Re: Coates 5-Frame Nuc
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 11:51:30 pm »
I like your design for the 5-frame Nuc. Im not a very good wood worker but your design I can manage. My bee hive consits of medium boxes and frames. I want to keep all supplies within same dimension. Do you have a dimension for your 5-frame nuc that will work with my medium frames? I think I would just need to reduce the height of box but not knowing measurements for reducing. Don't want to make mistakes. Your plans are very easy to follow. Thank you for posting

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:34 am »
Thank you for doing the cut layout on this plan Robo. This is a great design. I'm fixin to build a pile of them tomorrow.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 09:37:30 am »
Thanks for the plans.  The cutting layout is great - I halved it to get two nucs out of half a sheet - magic!

I took on board the idea of a larger opening to fit a feeder.  I also added some countersunk screen at the rear to allow better air flow.
As I want to use it for swam collection I added the font mesh gate, and extended the lid lips to allow room to dill a 6mm hole part way (font and back) to take a snug fitting dowel - now I don't need to worry about bees escaping in the station wagon!

Sorry the photos are not great, but they give the idea.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:56:30 am by buzzbee »
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline bullship

• New Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 11:17:23 am »
I built 4 out of a 4x8 sheet last week. Now I am more of a wood butcher than a carpenter butI got along very easily . The nucs look like nucs and everything! One small problem that I have, I got three ply plywood not the 4 ply. When I got done the covers are warped bad already even with the wife painting as I put them together.I am going to cut some strips and fasten on top to hold the tops flat. Next bunch I'll buy 4 ply!!
bullship:
Bullship

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »
One small problem that I have, I got three ply plywood not the 4 ply. When I got done the covers are warped bad already even with the wife painting as I put them together.I am going to cut some strips and fasten on top to hold the tops flat.
bullship:

Just put a concrete block or a couple of bricks on it-it will flatten back out. No problemo.

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2011, 12:58:12 pm »
 I also leave the bottom off of some to stack on other nucs to make 10 frame nucs.  I use thin 1 1/4 inch nails, titebond III glue, and I paint them to ensure I get many years of service out of them.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa190/Drew454/Nuc%20plans/

Plans and cut list for the Coates 5-Frame Nuc can be found here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/
leave the bottom off? when u make them u dont nail the bottom on?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
  I also leave the bottom off of some to stack on other nucs to make 10 frame nucs.  I use thin 1 1/4 inch nails, titebond III glue, and I paint them to ensure I get many years of service out of them.

Plans and cut list for the Coates 5-Frame Nuc can be found here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/
leave the bottom off? when u make them u dont nail the bottom on?

He left the bottom off of some in order to stack them (turn a 5 frame nuc into a 5x5 nuc or a nuc with a super)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 12:22:36 am »
Here are plans and measurements for nucs I make.  I think they are simple and you can make 4 five-frame nucs out of one piece of 15/32 plywood that sells for $10 at Lowes or Home Depot.  I use them for swarm traps, queen breeding nucs, and I overwinter nucs with Fall queens in them.  I also leave the bottom off of some to stack on other nucs to make 10 frame nucs.  I use thin 1 1/4 inch nails, titebond III glue, and I paint them to ensure I get many years of service out of them.

i am having problems cutting out the enterence! any ideas?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 01:50:03 am »
 when i made mine i drilled a hole-just drill it at the bottom edge so they can cary out the trash -RDY-B

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 08:22:20 am »

i am having problems cutting out the enterence! any ideas?
What kind of problems? I just stand them on edge, set the blade height to the height of the entrance and run them through.  If not using a dado blade, it will take more passes, but depending on how many you are doing, it is still quicker to do more passes than swap blades.

Or just do as rdy-b suggests and drill the entrances.  I use 7/8" holes for entrances on my poly nucs.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:00 am »
thank you..

Offline adamant

• House Bee
lids bowed
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 08:07:27 pm »
when i got the ply wood cut i could not find a up bowed piece. it seems that my lids are bowed now. what a good way to UN bow the lids? put weight on them? i like to do this before i paint them if it would make a difference..

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »
Hi Guys, I have a bunch of ply ready to start making some of these but I am a little confused. Are these plans to suit full deep frames? It doesn't appear they are. Or am I more dumb at this construction stuff than I thought?
Shane

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
Are these plans to suit full deep frames? It doesn't appear they are.

Yeah, these are for deep frames.  I didn't realized it untill I had already made a set of them.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 02:08:00 am »
Oh yes. I was reading the measurements wrong. When are you guys going to start using metric? :-P
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 06:03:51 am »
Would anyone care to double check my measurements? I have converted the funny numbers to metric and accounted for 12mm ply.

The sheet ply is 2400x1200x12mm

I didn't put the top lips on the layout as I would bother cutting anything that fiddly :-\

Full Size

Thanks
Shane

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:58 am »
did you allow for the saw kerf? (thickness of the blade)
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!