Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coates 5-Frame Nuc  (Read 98759 times)

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Re: Coates 5-Frame Nuc
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure it does. Even allowing for a 4mm blade, all will fit on the sheet.
Shane

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2012, 07:35:56 pm »
Shane,

Attached is the original cut list in metric.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:12:00 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 08:55:31 pm »
Ahh, thank you mate. Your measurements are pretty much right on what I got. I rounded my numbers though to make the job a tad easier.

What version of edition of Sheet Layout do you use? I'm just using the free version at the moment, but I cant get it to print out like what you attached.
Shane

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:53 am »
Shane,

I don't use sheet layout.  It is cut list.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »
Thanks mate.
Shane

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:58 am »
I made a few of these last night. I Opted for 1" dia. holes toward the top for entrance, and did the same for back side and screened over for ventilation. Also cut 2 3/4" hole, screened, for top feeder. Nice design, and cheap. Thanks!

Offline weldingfreak6010

• New Bee
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 12:25:27 am »
I hope this was not covered but is there any changes to the box to make it into a super size dimension wise. ( I know I do not put the bottom on it or need the top.) Is the bee space going to be ok between the top of the bottom frames and the bottom of the top frames, if you understand what I am getting at here. thanks guys, and Coates thanks for the design

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »
If your going to make a super put a 2" strip on the bottom like you do on the top.  It makes all sides and tops and bottom match up.
Make the box.  Then put it on the nuc. You will see why you need the strip.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline weldingfreak6010

• New Bee
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:49 pm »
If your going to make a super put a 2" strip on the bottom like you do on the top.  It makes all sides and tops and bottom match up.
Make the box.  Then put it on the nuc. You will see why you need the strip.
Bailey

Thanks I was wondering about that bottom , thanks again

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »
Thank you, a must make project!

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2013, 10:47:24 am »

In response to using top bars to make them TBH style a few questions back...
   I dont do tbh.. but I do foundationless..  Even in a 5 frame nuc the bees WANT to build their comb at an angle across the frames. 90% of the cutouts i have done where they had enough room to do so, they built comb at an angle to the enclosure. So using some means of guiding them is beneficial. Once they get started you can remove whatever you used as a guide. I use plastic frames. Two per nuc. Once they get everything in correct alignment I pull the plastic...   Having never done top bar I am not sure what you all use for this purpose, but could quite easily see the top bars being dropped into these nucs...   Hope to play with a tbh or two in the future, but still have several hundred hives to get built and colonized.  If you try it, let us know how it works out???
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
Re: Simple 5 frame nuc plans
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2013, 10:49:33 pm »

Offline dawgdrvr

• New Bee
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2014, 08:43:34 pm »
Hi guy's ,    :?

I am thinking of making some of these for the upcoming season. I have access to all the scrap 3/4 inch plywood that I can load into the back of my truck. My question is ,What adjustments should I make to compensate for the extra thickness?  3/4" instead of 1/2"

thanx

Cody
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:56:31 pm by dawgdrvr »
Saving the world one Bee at a time.

Moots

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2014, 09:21:49 pm »
Hi guy's ,    :?

I am thinking of making some of these for the upcoming season. I have access to all the scrap 3/4 inch plywood that I can load into the back of my truck. My question is ,What adjustments should I make to compensate for the extra thickness?  3/4" instead of 1/2"

thanx

Cody

Wouldn't you just need to make your front and back panels 1/2" wider...This would compensate for the additional 1/4" thickness of each side board, keeping your inside diameter the same.

Moots

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2014, 09:36:36 pm »

Wouldn't you just need to make your front and back panels 1/2" wider...This would compensate for the additional 1/4" thickness of each side board, keeping your inside diameter the same.

Oops! After looking at the plans, I think you would also have to lengthen the side boards by 1/2" each also, to compensate for the same reason...

Long story short, you just need to assure that your Inside dimensions remain unchanged, your Outside dimensions of your box will end up being 1/2" wider and 1/2" longer than the Nuc built with 1/2" material, due to the added 1/4" thickness.

Offline codeboy

• New Bee
    • Beeginnings
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:01 am »
I built these this past weekend and they turned out great.  My only question is on the cleats and lid.  Maybe I don't understand the utility of it but I'm just curious:
  • Why does the lid extend so far past the length needed to accommodate the cleats?
  • In relation to the previous question, why are the cleats inset from the end of the lid?  Why isn't the lid just long enough to form a right angle with the attached cleats?

Basically the same question twice.  I'm assuming there is a reason for it, but since I haven't used them yet, I don't see it.  Thanks for the great plans!!

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:28 pm »
Thanks D Coates  I'm making some this weekend. Edgy

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 03:11:08 pm »
Does the link for the cutlist that robo posted for the nuc work anymore. I have tried from two different computer location. I can't access or find anything but his bee vac site. I am no wood-worked and understand his cut list diagram takes in account the saw blade. Is this correct.

I can't get the link to his 4-way mating nuc to work either. I think it is due to a change in his site but I can not find a plan section on his vac/ removal site.
John 3:16

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 03:53:02 pm »
My blog crashed and I am taking the opportunity to move it to a new server and upgrade it.   It will be back up in the future.

Yes the cutlist takes saw blade width in to account.   PM me you email address if there are plans you need and I'll email it to you.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 04:54:08 pm »
My blog crashed and I am taking the opportunity to move it to a new server and upgrade it.   It will be back up in the future.

Yes the cutlist takes saw blade width in to account.   PM me you email address if there are plans you need and I'll email it to you.

Thanks robo pm sent
John 3:16