Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45673 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Varroa dedected in Australia
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2022, 07:02:52 pm »
The report below does give a good indication of the situation regarding the weather.

On the map note " Newcastle" - this is the EPI center for Varroa at this point.

I'm North, off the map. It is raining here too. No floods this time...

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/windsors-worst-flood-since-1978/671286

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2022, 08:13:34 pm »
"Phillip - I'm sure I'm not the only one her in Australia who has a laugh each time you in the US are " rooting" for us.
I'm lucky the police is not turning up and cnfiscating my computer!"

Max - When I look at the map last map posted by you in reply 48; www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/varroa showing the sites of positive detection, I see the detection zones are as far away from one another as 200 plus miles. I see no humor here.

Phillip

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:02:58 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2022, 09:47:07 pm »
I think Phil, that it?s the differing definition of the term ?rooting? is where the laughing comes from.  :wink:

The inland zone screams commercial migratory beekeeper. Here in the West it will be the migratory beekeeper that brings SHB into the SW, and it?s been tried too I might add, the old cutting off the nose in spite of the face I?m afraid. For the varroa to migrate it will be due to the commercial migratory beekeepers actions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:56:47 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2022, 09:57:17 pm »
Ah ok! lol I get it now!   :cheesy: Thanks Skeggly I am Rooting for you is a Southern Country saying here in my part of America meaning I am on your side and you have my support lol 
Hang in there friends, I am still (rooting for you)!
😂

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 12:05:52 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2022, 11:21:57 pm »
"If you guys can't buy isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, what do you use to clean propolis off of your hive tools?  Because that's what I use, 70% isopropyl. "

We generally use 18 year old Single Malt. :grin:
:cheesy:  I am genuinely curious.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2022, 01:22:36 am »
Thanks, Phil, for still r.....g for us. Glad you got the energy. Skeggley got it.

Varroa is indeed  far too serious for a laugh.

I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2022, 01:50:36 am »
Latest in
Narrabri - big jump.

I'm also concerned that they are talking about lifting some restrictions.

2000 hives - one mite...sounds like nothing but this is all it takes

https://members.qbabees.org.au/resources/Documents/AHBIC%20Varroa%20incursion%20update%206.pdf

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2022, 05:32:52 am »
Thanks, Phil, for still r.....g for us. Glad you got the energy. Skeggley got it.

I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now.

Max now that you posted my word as  r.....g I think I finally, fully understand. In Australia that is seen as a vulgar expression? If so please accept My humble apology. I meant it as working for something good. Now Im really embraced.
:oops:
Yikes Now I understand why you said the police may come and take your computer! I apologize to each of you. I never meant anything out of the way, vulgar or offensive, but have been sincerely sympathetic in a moral and good way as described in Webster below. 

Phillip

Merriam Webster  American Dictionary
rooted for; rooting for; roots for
Definition of root for
: to express or show support for (a person, a team, etc.) : to hope for the success of (someone or something)
They always root for the home team.
Good luck on your upcoming show. Remember that we're all rooting for you.
rooting
: to encourage a team or contestant by cheering or applauding enthusiastically. to lend moral support: The whole group will be rooting for him.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2022, 06:04:18 am »
Quote:
Max2
"I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now."

Max I did not think of that. Looking back, I had trouble finding number 8 here a few years ago. I finally found it in an old family owned hardware store. (No telling how many years the stuff had been sitting on the shelves).

Phillip

Worker bees can fit through #7 if there is a bent wire.  Workers can fit through #6 but it's a squeeze and they can't get pollen through it.  Workers can fit through #5 and it's a squeeze but they can get about half their pollen through it.  Workers and drones can fit through #4.  Some workers will lose pollen just because it caught and popped out, but the won't lose much.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 06:00:49 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2022, 07:40:26 pm »
Phillip wrote:
Max now that you posted my word as  r.....g I think I finally, fully understand. In Australia that is seen as a vulgar expression? If so please accept My humble apology. I meant it as working for something good. Now Im really embraced.
:oops:
Yikes Now I understand why you said the police may come and take your computer! I apologize to each of you. I never meant anything out of the way, vulgar or offensive, but have been sincerely sympathetic in a moral and good way as described in Webster below.

Phillip

No problem and no need to apologiese.
We all think we speak 'English" but it is a different "English"

We in Australia verymuch appreacite the support from our US ( and other) beekeeping friends .

Looks like the sun will shine  agin by tommorrow.
We had ther second lowest daytime temperature in recorded history here yesterday - around 13 C!

No bees to be seen
keep well

max

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2022, 12:44:30 am »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2022, 11:03:07 am »
Quote:
Max2
"I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now."

Max I did not think of that. Looking back, I had trouble finding number 8 here a few years ago. I finally found it in an old family owned hardware store. (No telling how many years the stuff had been sitting on the shelves).

Phillip

Worker bees can fit through #7 if there is a bent wire.  Workers can fit through #6 but it's a squeeze and they can't get pollen through it.  Workers can fit through #5 and it's a squeeze but they can get about half their pollen through it.  Workers and drones can fit through #4.  Some workers will lose pollen just because it caught and popped out, but the won't lose much.

Max another way to check for varroa is the sugar roll method. Though I personally have little confidence in the accuracy of this method for bee management, in your countries case of emergency, even if one mite were to drop the answer would be answered for a hive, as well as the area the hive is located in. I am not recommending this however, just food for thought. It is my opinion that the alcohol wash is the way to go in such critical times as yours..

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2022, 06:28:31 pm »
Victoria - the state past NSW has now extra conditions:
The basis of tonight's email is to provide an update to our members who are seeking additional information on some of the requirements now in place for the migration of hives to the almond growing regions in Victoria.

The following information has been taken directly from the Agriculture Victoria website (DAF equivalent in Victoria).

Victorian Control Area
An Order declaring Victoria as a Control Area is now in place prohibiting the movement of bees, beehives, beekeeping equipment and bee products into and within Victoria.

Anyone seeking to move bees, hives, used beekeeping equipment and bee products, including pollen and honeycomb into Victoria, from New South Wales, or that which have been in NSW at any time after 1 January 2022 and have since moved to another State or Territory, must obtain a permit. Movement restrictions will also apply to any other State or Territory if Varroa mite is declared present.

This does not include processed honey and wax and new beekeeping tools and equipment which can be transported within Victoria and from interstate.

In addition, anyone seeking to move bees, beehives, beekeeping equipment and bee products into Victoria?s Sunraysia region, from within Victoria or from another state, must obtain a permit. This measure has been put in place ahead of Victoria?s almond pollination season. This applies to all Victorian and interstate beekeepers.

No permits will be granted for applications seeking movement from NSW while the standstill is in place, in line with NSW emergency orders. This also applies to Victorian beekeepers seeking re-entry to Victoria.

Applications from New South Wales will be assessed once the current standstill in NSW has lifted.

This Order has been made to prevent the exotic Varroa mite from coming into Victoria from NSW. Currently Victoria remains free from Varroa mite.

To learn more about the requirements and relevant permits to enter Victoria please visit:

https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/biosecurity/pest-insects-and-mites/priority-pest-insects-and-mites/varroa-mite-of-honey-bees/varroa-mite-current-situation

Please also note, given the current standstill (Movement Control Order) in NSW, movement from other states into NSW is strictly prohibited.

Information and updates on when the standstill in NSW may be lifted will be communicated to our members and contacts as a priority.

As a final update, similar to our efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic, a national task force has again been mobilised to manage the immediate challenges of industry to coordinate and control the movement of hives for pollination events across the country.

The QBA Management team have asked that I continue to represent the QBA and greater QLD  industry given my past involvement and expertise in the exercise to see bees delivered to pollination during the uncertainty of COVID. The QBA is supported in the meeting by Biosecurity Queensland and an expert from Transport and Main Roads who provided assistance during the COVID-19 border closures.

The task force includes representation at a high level from AHBIC, state bodies, and state agencies and a broker, all working together towards a common goal. The group has held 3 meetings over the past 12 days with much progress being made as a result of each meeting. We hope to be in a position in the near future to provide some clarity to Queensland based apiarists who provide pollination services to our dependent industry partners.

On behalf of the QBA Management team I would like to express our sincere appreciation for the continued support we've received through the significant volume of calls and emails.

Thank you for your support as we too increase commitment towards the national effort to contain and eradicate varroa.

Kind regards,

Jo Martin

QBA State Secretary

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2022, 04:28:26 am »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2022, 09:05:27 pm »

Max this is an old Thread but maybe it will help..  Using the search bar provided at the top of the page look up: "Where do you get hardware cloth in Aust"

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2022, 01:25:36 am »
NSW bees to Vic?
I wonder what the full story is?

JUL 9, 2022 ?

In a shocking turn of events NSW commercials beekeepers will be able to get a permit to cross into Victoria Sunraysia district to pollinate Almonds.

Intense lobbying from the billion dollar Almond industry and commercial beekeepers represented by AHBIC who have been told they will not be compensated for missed pollination income they rely upon.

While they burn billions of bees in Newcastle and apply a poisoning program that will kill wild and indigenous bees it beggars belief they will allow the potential spread of the mite to Victoria.

After leaving the Almond?s potentially infected hives will be dispersed throughout NSW and Victoria.

I am sad thinking of those poor NSW beekeepers whose hives have been destroyed may will be all in vain.

Thinking of all the volunteer workers, beekeepers and DPI staff that are trying to contain the infestation only to have a doggy permit system hurt the potential of Australia remaining Varroa free.

We need to stop all hive movement in NSW until Varroa is contained and I am attempting to get a federal court injunction to make certain no hives are moved into Victoria from NSW until we are certain Varroa Mite is contained and at least until 1 January 2023.

Please help me raise funds to protect Australian bees and the Australia?s food industry and Australia?s food security and 460000 beekeepers against varroa mite. I want instruct lawyer Michael Morehead to commence proceedings to put an injunction on the movement of hives in NSW until we know that varroa mite has been contained or irradiated.

Any extra funds raised will be dispersed amongst beekeepers in the Newcastle region that have lost their apiaries and may be waiting a long time for compensation.

Please Donate

https://gofund.me/9d4bb7d6

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2022, 06:34:43 am »
NSW bees to Vic?

Max..I cant find any information on this. Can you please provide a link or let us know where the article is? That's shocking news! Surely this cannot happen.

On a positive note, I did see that State and Federal governments are reimbursing both hobby and commercial beeks for their losses putting 18 Million up for compensation.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2022, 07:54:11 am »
This came from Simon Mulvany:
JUL 9, 2022 ?

In a shocking turn of events NSW commercials beekeepers will be able to get a permit to cross into Victoria Sunraysia district to pollinate Almonds.

I don't kniow anything more.

Yes, good to see small beekeepers also getting  some payment

I had a look for # 8 mesh - no luck so far.
I'm thinking about bringing in some of the shakers.

I also noticed that the " Alcohol wash" is now the " Ethanol Wash" which would be the " Metho Wash" here in OZ!

Take it out of the fridge, mate!

I post somethinbg more positive on another post...

anything