Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Placing hives on windy hills  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Mike_Macheti

• New Bee
Placing hives on windy hills
« on: December 11, 2021, 02:37:15 am »
I'm pretty new to beekeeping.
One site I have found, which I think may be good, is on the side of a macca plantation. The other side has native eucalypts. The property owner has water tanks there and the site could get a little windy as the far side of the property drops down into a gorge. The area is slightly mountanous - approaching the NSW side of the border ranges.
Anyway, I'm guessing bee would have to be affected by strong wind, but to what extent?
 I'd be grateful for any insights.
  Cheers,
 Mike

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
Re: Placing hives on windy hills
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 04:53:57 am »
Depends on whether constantly windy. If so bees will still fly but require more energy to do so, usually resulting in lower yields. This was what I found on some of our Yorkshire Heather moors. One I used was near an escarpment edge and was always windy and yields where very poor compared to hives kept on a lower, more sheltered, moor about 2 miles away. I  don't use the "windy" moor anymore.

Offline Mike_Macheti

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 07:17:34 am »
Cheers Nigel.
No, it's not constantly windy at all. So maybe they'll do OK there.
I like the place so perhaps I'll just have to hope the bees like it too, and give it a try.
I have another site, better protected, nearby so if they don't do well I suppose I'll just move there there.
Thanks for your reply.
Mike

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 04:19:20 pm »
Hi Mike,

Sounds like you have a good place to run a few hives. Try to find a spot that is protected from the cold winds and gets good morning sun. Your bees will thank you for it in the long run.

Cheers

Les

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 04:57:17 pm »
Try to find a spot that is protected from the cold winds and gets good morning sun. Your bees will thank you for it in the long run

That is good advice Les. I have learned that after cooler nights, the bees which entrance face the early morning sun will be up and going before the ones whose entrance face a direction away from the sun, even though the hives may be next door neighbors and the sun may be hitting both hives equally.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:27:10 pm »
It?s an interesting topic in itself. Hive location in relation to aspect, entrance direction, shade and wind protection etc. appear to make a difference to honey production and hive strength. Many of my hives are situated in a less than perfect location and some of them always tend to struggle compared to those that are placed in good positions. If only I could place all of my bees in my front yard?? I would need a very understanding wife and grandkids to be able to do that.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 03:48:55 am »
Another factor for consideration is elevation.

I try to have my hive locations lower or level with the main forage. That way the girls fly up the hill empty and down loaded.
...more efficiency = more honey!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 04:57:05 pm »
A wind break will help the bees a lot.  First because they don't have to fight the wind as much, and second, because they will be warmer in the winter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin