Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: smokers  (Read 8066 times)

Offline crispy

• House Bee
smokers
« on: January 11, 2020, 01:03:05 am »
Hi all well i m looking at getting a smoker soon so i will ask the AUSSIES what type they are using and before anyone says it yes i know the best type is one that produces smoke ,seriously though there re so many on the market ranging from chinese cheepies to down right expensive ones the ones i have looked at are the beeko regular ,manlake with the plastic bellows and a few others .Personally i dont think the chinese ones would be much cop so i dont want to throw money away ,also one i was shown had a stumpy type nozzel on it does this make much difference to the pointy ones .
I have a good supply of smoker fuel (pine needles ) and have no difficulty in getting them does anyone use this manufactured fuel and if so what are the pros and cons thanks . 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: smokers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 06:39:33 pm »
Get the tallest one you can.  They stay lit better.  Stainless steel will last longer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wet bee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:24:48 am »
Chinese smoker;
Doe's the job well with a small leather bellows. Has a one way valve which could invite backdraft and ultimately bushfires. The fire grill is loose and falls out when cleaning.
$30.00

Beeko smoker:
More direct funnel with a large synthetic(?) bellows. Has two valves {one in and one out = safer} Fire grill fixed and a pleasure to use.
$100.00
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:13:21 am by wet bee »

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 07:35:20 am »
Hi all well the manlake smoker the local guy has in stock is the larger one and i think it is about 75 dollars which is comparible to the large beeco .My local guy does stock both so when he open gain on the 15 i may have to take a tip down there and make a decision thanks fo your comments and advice .

Offline wet bee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:52:33 am »
Act locally not globally.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 10:25:25 am »
Get a smoker from your local apiary supplier, they have a reputation to uphold. From what I see, over here, they?re all made in China but branded with the suppliers name anyway

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 08:10:41 pm »
Well il try this again apparently an error occurred , just a update on my smoker decided to get a beeko ,had a look at the others and went to my local guy who told me that anything more ie: larger was overkill for what im doing so decided on a regular beeko 75.00 probably last longer than the bloke using it .

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:32:27 am »
larger was overkill for what im doing so decided on a regular beeko 75.00 probably last longer than the bloke using it .
I was going to suggest spend within your means as a hobbyist.  You can even make one.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 09:13:52 am »
If I lived in Australia, I would not make a smoker.
Twice I have made temporary smokers when I found myself an hours drive away from my smoker and needed one. They were real fire hazards. Unless you have access to a machine/metal shop, anything you make will probably be a fire hazard.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 12:55:47 am »
Hi Jim
I am pretty sure there was no suggestion of making a smoker. It was more about what type of smoker and the suggestion to "Buy Local" as in Australian made, rather than the cheap Chinese stuff that is on the market everywhere.
Cheers
Mark

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 07:22:49 am »
The Dadant 4x10 is the best I've heard, I have one myself.
BackyardBeesNC.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 09:01:47 am »
Bamboo, this is what I was referring to.
it .
?I was going to suggest spend within your means as a hobbyist.  You can even make one.?

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:12 am »
https://www.beeculture.com/up-in-smoke/
I like looking at these old devices.  Starting with the simplicity of a tin can to exotic shapes and bellows.  Interesting that some loaded from the bottom. Look at the H Root patent #739510.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 01:59:23 am »
Please tell me i was not the only one that got talked into an electric smoker?
Press a button and a little electric fan blows the air into the smoker (no bellows, just an electric fan)
Last time i take the girlfriend shopping with me....

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 03:21:20 am »
Please tell me i was not the only one that got talked into an electric smoker?
Press a button and a little electric fan blows the air into the smoker (no bellows, just an electric fan)
Last time i take the girlfriend shopping with me....
You will probably have difficulty purchasing an electric smoker in Australia from reputable bee equipment suppliers as two models were recalled due to asbestos being used. https://www.asbestos.qld.gov.au/resources/safety-alerts/2019-02-08-000000-safety-alert-asbestos-battery-operated-bee-smokers
I have a Beeko smoker which is now over 40 yrs old and, apart from replacing the material used for the bellows, I am still using it.
Kevin

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 05:40:31 am »
Thats what i want to hear kanga personal experience about a smoker , and yes the electric smokers were claimed to have asbestos in there manufacturing and we all know were they come from . i did look at some of the cheapies but my local guy had a good range but the one i really liked wa out of stock so i went for an aussie beeko .

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:00 pm »
Hi all well the manlake smoker the local guy has in stock is the larger one and i think it is about 75 dollars which is comparible to the large beeco .My local guy does stock both so when he open gain on the 15 i may have to take a tip down there and make a decision thanks fo your comments and advice .

This is what I have SS but the verdict is still out. I have only had it two years. I have not babied it but really chunked it around. So far so good!
Phillip Hall 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 11:50:54 pm »

You will probably have difficulty purchasing an electric smoker in Australia from reputable bee equipment suppliers as two models were recalled due to asbestos being used. https://www.asbestos.qld.gov.au/resources/safety-alerts/2019-02-08-000000-safety-alert-asbestos-battery-operated-bee-smokers
I have a Beeko smoker which is now over 40 yrs old and, apart from replacing the material used for the bellows, I am still using it.
Kevin
[/quote]

Now i feel every worse about buying this smoker! I will have to check when i get home, I dont remember seeing a board like this on my one, but it does look very similar to the ones pictured in the link... Like i said, last time i take the girlfriend shopping with me!!

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 01:30:38 am »
Did you buy it online or from a bee stockist ? if it was a bee stockist it might pay to take it back and see if you can exchange it for another if need be show him the paperwork for the asbestos ,if however you bought it online well it might be an uphill slog to get your hard earned back as it says if it gets knocked about the asbestos may come free and release particles ,dont be to disheartned even if you seal the edge of the asbestos with something it may well be ok as long as you dont pull it apart .

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 03:02:04 am »
Bought it from a local shop, might take it back but i dont like my chances of getting a refund, maybe a heavy discount on a new one??
Will see how i go
Also - after watching some 'old timers' (40+ years experience each) they use the smokers *very* differently than i could with the electric one. The small puffs, and more accurate use that i dont think i could do with the electric

anything