Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa dedected in Australia  (Read 74 times)

Online max2

• Field Bee
Varroa dedected in Australia
« on: Today at 02:36:24 am »
Please read this press release:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-06-24/varroa-mite-detected-at-newcastle-port/101180446

This is not an ideal time to inspect hives in many parts of Australia...BUT if at all possible I urge beekeepers to check hives, do an Alcohol Wash if you are anywhere near the location.

I have written to the Federal Minister for Ag and hope that if enough beekeepers write, swift action will follow.

Online max2

• Field Bee
Re: Varroa dedected in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:39:57 am »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:55:10 am »
Max that is big news, but not good news. I hope y'all have caught the situation in time. I have a question, does your country have wild bees, (feral hives), in the same area? If so, these could become 'uninhibited' breeding grounds for Varroa Destructor.

Phillip
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:46:40 am »
Oh man, hopefully you guys can somehow get it under control before it spreads.  What a shame. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:27:24 pm »
Hi Ben,

Newcastle is quite a long way away from us here and I'm not up with the local situation.

I would assume that there would be wild nests of honey bees in the forested areas near the port - say withing 5 km.

SHB have knocked the wild population here and I would expect a similar situation there.

The information is still poor. I understand that the swarm was found at the port but ...maybe on an arriving ship? I will keep you posted.

I have sent out e-mails to many beekeeping friends but mostly elderly they often don't use e-mails as a means of communication.
I'm partially deaf and hardly use the phone.

I will visit a good beekeeping friend who has connections with the beekeeping organisations.

max

Online max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:31:10 pm »
Thhis has just come in:

https://honeybee.org.au/varroa-mite-detected-at-the-port-of-newcastle/

It looks like the authorities are taking it seriously....and have success!