BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Which fastners

(1/4) > >>

220:
Just wondering what hive fasteners everyone uses or prefers.
My hives will be in a paddock that has cattle and sheep at various times through the year. Wouldn't usually think sheep would be a problem but they are dorpers and inclined to rub on anything they can find so could be a problem.
What does everyone use/prefer just in case the worst happens, toggle latches, z springs, emlock fasteners or something else?

Mark Smith:
Livestock and bee hives don't mix well. I would not have the hives where the cows and sheep have access to them. The bees will not be happy!!!

220:
Unfortunately livestock and hive interactions are just something that has to be dealt with as best you can on most working Australian farms.
I'm only just getting into bees myself but others have had hives on our farms on and off for over 30 years. I can only remember seeing hives knocked over twice in that time. Once I witnessed it happen,
A young inquisitive steer walked into the middle of over 50 hives. The bees let him know he wasn't welcome and in his haste to get out knock a few over.
The other case I have no idea what happened but would guess something similar. 
I don't have any experience with hives and dorper sheep but given their love of rubbing they could be a problem.

SB-Russ:
No pro, and can't help with the livestock. I have a similar dilemma that currently
I've solved temporarily just by using a cheap tie-down strap. I don't like it due to the ratchet mechanism, which upsets the bees, but it works. It'll also rust up in the rain I reckon.

My second hive have a similar strap with no ratchet, it's just a friction hold which won't be good enough once I get past 1 box.

My local supplier sells emlocks, but they're expensive. I bought a roll of galvanised strapping and some rubber expanding hooks to loop through the strapping holes to hold it in place. Cheap but I haven't used as I realised the wind at my place n eds a good strong hold-down, and I don't think that'll do it.

Open to suggestions myself.

kanga:
Emlocks may be a little more expensive, but put on properly they should hold the hive together if it does get accidentally knocked over. I have had hives on properties where there were cattle without any problems (Maybe I was lucky).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version