Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Victoria  (Read 62414 times)

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
Re: What's flowering: Victoria
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2016, 08:26:48 am »
Its in amongst manna and messmate, buds look like manna, but the trunk? It's at about 700m in a low area facing north, red loam soil, normal season would see a bit of extra moisture in the soil than surrounding areas. Will have another look on the weekend, will take better photo. I think it's going to take me a long time to learn just a few different species of trees, found my little pocket book by Leon Costermans, see what I can learn.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:38 pm »
Manna is extremely variable, and cross pollinates readily. So that is probably what it is. Close look at the buds and leaves with costermans on hand will get it sorted

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:21 am »
There is also Brooker's and Candlebark gum, the tree looks like a bit of a cross bred.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:19 am »
Yep. Candle bark is extremely closely related to the manna gum, but it's very consistent on that candle bark/pinkish colour to the trunk.
Throw mountain grey gum onto that list as well. Ah eucalyptus cypelocarpa (maybe)?? That is.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 03:26:46 am »
G day Lance.  It was good to talk today.it made me think we should do some beekeepers days In  spring.
So if there is anyone who reads this forum that is victoria based and would like to have a day looking in hives let us know what you would like to do/see.
I did a day last December when bees were at whittlesea, that's was a real eye opener for the newbees to be there with over 100 hives, and to see how we do it.
Anyway lots of people read this thread so let us know what you all think.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »
Hi HCK, thanks for the call the other day, looks like the problem worked it's self out. I think I have someone interested in checking out your hives.

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2016, 06:27:18 am »
Thanks for the great offer HCK, I would jump at the chance to spend some time with you and others form the list, I know I would learn a heap. Thanks also for sharing your knowledge on what is flowering and when, I've learnt a lot from your comments.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2016, 07:37:20 pm »
Please anybody post up whenever a work day is in the pipeline.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2016, 08:02:19 pm »
Planning to have hives in the hurstbridge area in October/ November.  So I'll try to organize a Saturday or Sunday then. Will have a better idea by September.
Koala John thanks for your comment, I haven't seen you on this forum for a long time.
If I've got hives close to melbourne for winter pack down maybe we could do something then too.
I'll be working hives on Friday(highlands) in preparation for a move on Friday night(west of horsham). The days are staying cool now and it's time to start pushing them down for the winter.
Bee good.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 07:27:42 am »
Hi HCK, any idea if the Manna gum is still flowering, haven't had a chance to check any thing in the last week, it's been nothing but night shifts and break downs.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 09:41:47 am »
I did notice a few in kinglake ranges and the strathbogies but not enough to make a living from.
Buds on long leaf box getting close to opening too in some places.
Let's see what this rain and cold moist air brings.I'll be traveling around a bit over the next week so I may have more to report then.
Listen to what the farmers say after this rain.  It may give an insight on the spring.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2016, 05:57:20 am »
Coastal banksia looks to be half way through it's flowering cycle on the east coast,  flowering well after the rains.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2016, 08:14:11 am »
No red box buds in the diamond valley. In fact no new growth either.  The trees look healthy so hopefully some rain during the winter will get some new growth going so we can see some buds for October 2017.
Winter flowering iron barks generally flowering too.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2016, 06:36:19 am »
The manna gum continues to just sort of flower in the northeast. A year that has seen everything flower early, but not the manna it has stood still and is now almost running late. It's not a good flow but it is yielding both pollen and nectar, nicely enough for hives to go into winter well stocked.
Long leaf box is budded and just starting to Crack open, let's see what happens after next week's rain.
Has anyone else seen anything budding/flowering? ?
Anyone. .anyone. ....?

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2016, 07:54:19 am »
Yep, checked the hives up at north Blackwood today (700m), still bringing in pollen and nectar,  I take it as HCK said, manna gum is still flowering,  just couldn't see any thing in flower. I must have flower blindness.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2016, 06:00:32 am »
Yeah tough to pic the flowers,  take a look when it's windy, that should reveal the flowers hidden behind the leaves.

Stringy bark has started again in the wimmera.  And the banksia are both now yielding both.
Yellow gum continues to yield while it is warm.
If none of that makes sense then read through previous post s and you'll figure it out.
Thanks bee good.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:13 am »
Banksia marginata ( silver banksia).all flowers are now flowering or finishing that is no new cobs left to open. The desert banksia (which is a winter flowering variety) will be all done well before the onset of winter.
Things seem to continue to be ahead of their calendar. Not sure what the equalizer will be but it's coming.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2016, 07:48:16 am »
I've put a Google+ page up.called "beekeeping victoria whats flowering". It's very easy to put photos on there, and I find it easier than posting on Facebook or trying to upload quality photos onto here. Anyway I'll do the same descriptions etc and anyone else can add to it with questions or hopefully more of what's flowering.
I'm not good at these things so well see how it goes.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:06 am »
Hi HCK, typed in beekeeping victoria whats flowering and nothing came up in google, am I looking in the wrong place?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2016, 09:59:06 am »

Loquat tree in Gippsland out in full bloom, bees having a picnic.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

anything