Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Victoria  (Read 62434 times)

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
Re: What's flowering: Victoria
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2016, 08:44:32 pm »
The trunk in that picture maybe messmate.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2016, 09:13:14 pm »
Thanks Vin. Learning about these plants is very interesting. :)

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2016, 01:11:19 am »
Checked a few hives down on the Mornington Peninsular today, they have slowed due to swarming, but not much happening down there, the flow has slowed. Waiting for the next lot of tea tree to bloom.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2016, 06:45:39 am »
Broad leaf peppermint (eucalyptus dives) is in good bud, (advaced) in the north east.
Narrow leaf peppermint (eucalyptus radiata) also look good, similar flowering times.
As to when they will flower...... I would think November but this year it maybe December.  As it's so cool in those elevated areas at the moment I'm in no hurry to get there, I just thought I'd mention it as I'd talked it up earlier in the year. I think they will flower well it just may be too cold and wet to be of much use.
Red gum (eucalyptus camaldulensis) all the goulburn river is "washed out" that is all this rain has produced lots of new growth to the detriment of the existing buds.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2016, 04:47:05 pm »
Cape weed continues,  there is a bit of pattersons curse, but not in the volume it used to be and always a chanced to be sprayed while your bee's are on it.
Tea tree is along way off in the north east as well. I think for those chasing it it'll be a white Christmas.
Some yellow box (eucalyptus melliodora) still flowering I would think it's too cold and wet to yield any nectar.
Red box (eucalyptus polyanthemos) flowers washed out, new growth now pushing through. Watch these for lurps.
What's happening out your way.?

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:58 pm »
Heading to the hills above Mansfield ths weekend, will check out the trees. There is also larg areas of blackberries l would like to check out.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2016, 07:34:40 am »
Up at Tolmie this weekend, nothing flowering above 800 metres

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2016, 10:40:03 am »
Checked out a tea tree site on Wednesday.  It's not a great flowering but what put me off was that there wasn't a single bee on it. Lots of native bees ( hover fly ).  Bees were on the Cape weed at about 1 bee per 2m□ so plenty around. I'm assuming that the nectar of the Cape weed is sweeter than that of the leptospermum. I'll go there again in a few weeks and reassess.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2016, 10:42:58 am »
Lance are you going to the big clearing sale up a tolmie in a few weeks?
This time last year the black berry was flowering well up that way.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2016, 10:54:47 am »
Tolmie hasn't warmed up yet, still a bit fresh, 200m down a few trees were starting to flower, I wasn't driving so didn't get a chance to stop and look. Don't know about the cleaning sale as of yet, the mother in law is away so no updates.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2016, 02:28:25 am »
Just got back from Wilson's prom and along that coast.  Tea tree, paper barks, wild radish cape weed etc . Lots of hover flys on it not a single honey bee same as out in the wimmera last week. Anyone else notice the same about, anyone...........anyone.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2016, 06:24:56 am »
Spent the weekend up at North Blackwood, fruit trees came into bloom on the weekend with the warm weather.  Hawthorn trees still not flowering, blackberries still weeks off. No hover flies, still to cold, speaking to the farmers, spring is slow up in the high hills.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2016, 01:50:30 pm »
Anyone have a update on whats flowering at the moment.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2016, 07:43:26 pm »
 Just travelled to Kerang over the weekend Lance and there are massive amounts of Hawthorn in full bloom between Macedon to Elphinstone.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2016, 05:19:01 am »
Going beveridge on Sunday to see what's happening around there. Put some hives there at a friend's farm.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2016, 03:23:52 am »
The warmer weather has started lots of new growth on the eucalyptus, this could see lots of buds pushed off til next season. Some yellow box is flowering as too is broad leaf peppermint and some red box ( but most of that is done). Buds on tea tree north of melbourne and north east. Blackberry is just starting to bud this time last year both tea tree and blackberry were almost finished. New growth on manna gum even upto 100mm in the north east this may affect the buds so keep an eye on that. Still patches of pattersons curse flowering on the tips. Not a lot exciting the bees or the beekeeper at the moment.  Bees in the mallee are the only ones I have making any honey, I'll check those on Thursday and I'll let you know how it is going.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:40 pm »
Back up at North Blackwood yesterday,  your right Geoff, the Hawthorns are in full flower until go get to our place, they have just started to open up. I have only one hive up there for the fruit tree's,  doing very poorly, Misses asked me to pick elder flowers so she could make champagne,  basically nothing to pick.
Went for a quick bike ride through the bush and only saw the odd flower on the trees.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2016, 04:31:01 pm »
Going beveridge on Sunday to see what's happening around there. Put some hives there at a friend's farm.
At the moment the hill in beveridge (mt fraser) is full of patersons curse , ive heard its high in alkaloids which can make some people sick.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:18 am »
Caution with putting bees on patto, particularly when on small land holdings or where your bees are on another property from where the patto is. Although it is better land management to spray it well before it flowers too often people don't notice it until it's in bloom and then spray herbicides.
On the other side of your decision making its great for building up good hives.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2016, 02:22:49 am »
Just having a bit of trouble ID this tree.