Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Victoria  (Read 62429 times)

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
Re: What's flowering: Victoria
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »
Canola and lupins are all done in the mallee, vetch and lupins still going with all this rain. Heading into the forest today to check out the malle trees. Hoping to check out tee tree country but I'm a bit sick of getting bogged (again last night). I'll let you all know.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2016, 10:36:31 am »
It must be time for the cherry laurel trees to be in flower, as we spoke about it last year Vin, test the honey out on the mother inlaw, see if any of that cyanide is in the nectre.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »
I'll have a 10kg bucket then thanks. Or maybe I bath her in it.
Victoria s desert country looks great. Flower everywhere. Even if people don't put bees up that way, it's well worth a trip. Grab your swag and go have a look.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2016, 01:35:17 am »
I'll have a 10kg bucket then thanks. Or maybe I bath her in it.
Victoria s desert country looks great. Flower everywhere. Even if people don't put bees up that way, it's well worth a trip. Grab your swag and go have a look.

What's flowering up there? I'm dying to see pictures! lol and know of anybody that wouldn't mind having a few hives on their land toward the end of the year (assuming/hoping there's something flowering then)

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:03 am »
Lots of ground flora, far too many to name (unless you really want me to bore you), 3 eucalyptus variety so far, several acacia,  many shrub species.
The beauty is in the clumps of flowers whether it's thickets of baeckea or open grass lands with masses of paper daisy, even if it is introduced weeds like capeweed. The other notable point is that the plants are thick perfect specimens not just a few flowers hanging on the tips of struggling plants.
Who knows what summer will bring, it does get hot up there.
It's a tough area to beekeep,  I'm tired of getting bogged, and even if not bogged walking tracks to assess how accessible it is. Some tracks that can take 5 minutes most times can now suddenly turn into 2 hrs of push and pull. The worst of it this year is the short days as it's too cold,  opening a hive and doing brood manipulation etc is only feasible for about 3 hrs a day.
Not that I'm complaining (just stating how it is). Every year is different that's for sure.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2016, 03:30:28 am »
Does anyone have knowledge of what flowers around Tallarook? Looking at a property there - going down on the weekend to have a look. From what I've read it's mainly some kind of eucalyptus and maybe tea tree. Just wondering how it is for bees down that way in terms of forage.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2016, 06:51:18 am »
Big question.  Large area with river flats,therefore red gum, manna gum etc. Also hill country so red box, red stringy, yellow box, grey box, upto messmate on the higher peaks. Give us more info when you can as to the locality. Yes tea tree in some of that area to that's not of value as far as manuka rates if that's what your wondering.
Generaly a great area for bees. Some white box around there too, so caution there.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2016, 10:42:10 am »
Thanks Vin. That was extremely helpful. It's on Scotts Rd, Tallarook if you are familiar with it. It's full of trees though not sure what kind till I see it. White box sounds pretty bad from what I read on google - is it a real concern there?

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2016, 10:47:05 am »
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Scotts+Rd,+Tallarook+VIC+3659/@-37.117624,145.0669877,395m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad79275410ebe9f:0x31d00740bc44ad6a!8m2!3d-37.1155967!4d145.0683478

Not sure if this link will work but gave it a try.

Are there any areas northern way you would say are good for bees for the most part? We are looking for a rural property to buy and keep our bees on and having a hard time knowing what area is decent and what isn't and we should or shouldn't go for or things to keep in mind when looking for somewhere - if you have any advice please share!

Thanks!

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2016, 08:59:02 am »
Hi Vin, how long do you expect the flowering to last around the little desert? Hoping to get away from work on the cup weekend with the ball and chain and kids.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2016, 09:11:06 am »
Lance. Yes I think it will still be good. Wyperfeld national park has some good free camping and some good drives. Hopetoun pub has good cheap meals.
Got a kids and dad's camping weekend next week. Sheep yard flat if your keen to camp. No mums allowed. (It makes for a much easier time).

If going to wyperfeld go via brim and check out the silos (as long as it's day light).

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2016, 09:19:37 am »
Turando.  I think scots road is red box, yellow box, stringy area. Off sharps and Youngs road??? Just off the Hume. It's away from the river so no red or manna gum. White box is OK if there is any there just protein feed in autumn if it's looking like flowering.
Big question as to where is good for bees, sometimes it can come down to very small areas thar are great or bad. Good luck with that.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2016, 06:59:36 am »
Yep that's it. Thanks for all that info!  I am going there tomorrow so will take some photos. It is 40 acres of trees the property but not sure what type till I get there. I'm a beginner with understanding what is flowering and species so this will be fun to figure out.

How did you learn so much about what's flowering around Victoria?

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2016, 08:16:05 am »
So red box if it was to flower this year, would be doing so now. Its new growth that your looking for now. All eucalyptus (well most plants) have growth new growth then start to build buds. Red box start to bud in December for next October flowering.
There may be some yellow box still flowering.
Look for buds on the red stringy for this summer autumn, although all this rain may have washed off the buds.
There's some home work for you.

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »
Most of the winter crops are all done. Last weeks rain has made some lupins flower again on the lateral growth. Vetch is still flowering and the paddocks are too wet for the farmers to cut it for hay, so a bonus there. White clover is flowering. And I'm not sure how the Patterson curse is going, perhaps Oldbeavo will write on that for us.
"Wet season keep your bees up high.let them forage down low."

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »
So got to tallarook today. Took a lot of photos and trying to work out what is what though unlikely we will get the property as they needed offers in by today. Whole property was just trees and more trees - very pretty but very steep. Now looking at another property in Tyaak.

Identified red box because of the shape of the leaves. Not sure if the other was yellow box and had a few other plants I wanted to identify.

Is there a good book for identifying plants? I'm currently using google images which is only useful if I know what kind of plant I'm looking for.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »
More photos

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2016, 08:32:58 pm »
First 2 are acacia floribuna.  Not local to the area so must be planted. Then a red box, young plant.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2016, 08:38:27 pm »
Thanks Vin. I recognised red box but not the other one.

Not sure if it can be seen properly but is the first picture in the 2nd post yellow box?

Offline Andersonhoney

• House Bee
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2016, 08:42:19 pm »
Then Acacia pycantha Australia's floral emblem.  Then another red box, nice new growth. Then cherry ballart (exocarpus sinuatus), Not much use to a beekeeper that one. Nice to have a true local rare plant there.