Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Victoria  (Read 62438 times)

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: What's flowering: Victoria
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2016, 06:22:44 pm »
Lance.are you on Google plus?  (Google+).

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »
Yep, jump on google + and typed in "beekeeping victoria whats flowering" and it came up with no matches. Can't say that I have used that app, will have another look.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2016, 05:04:05 am »
Maybe I should have put it on Facebook, I just find that a pain. Check it again I may have had it on private or closed group.
I'm trying to get into this social media thing but it's not that easy unless your 15 years old.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 10:07:36 am »
Sorry HCK, either I am stuffing up or you need to speak to your kid, tried on both phone and PC and still can not find your page. You could try posting the link? Also the private pages still came up, I just can't open them.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2016, 01:46:05 am »
Thought I better post something. The autumn break is finally here. Lots of farmers doing long hours around the state last week. Sowing the last of this winters crops. Ground moisture was good out west before the rain so field point should now be reached and germination started with soil warms still high.  Interesting that Canadian farmers are sowing their canola at the same time as our farmers. Here it's a winter growing crop, there the snow stops that happening so they plant once the snow melts.
Yellow gum still going well before this rain. Banksia and red stringy still going but on the end of its flowering. I'll be up the north west next week checking sites so I'll get back to you then.
Two other beeks said that grey box is finished. Perhaps Oldbeavo might add how it was this season. (Hint hint).
Thanks I'LL be back next week.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2016, 12:31:43 am »
Black box is flowering in the north west and up over the border around denilequin. South of kerang it's not, and is flowering better closer to water source. Not a lot of red gum buds up that way,  the odd tree but nothing great for this summer. The last of the crops going in this week.
So this crazy season continues, I've never known black box to flower at this time of year.late winter is about the earliest I've seen so we will see what happens.  A few flowers and buds out in the mallee but nothing  worth writing about yet. Yellow box continues to flower in the northeast and other areas over the border, I've been told by our DPI officer. And lots of beekeepers not sure what the weather will do. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:57:32 am by Honeycomb king »

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2016, 10:54:37 am »
Bees working yellow box ! It's crazy this time of year but this strange pattern continues not sure what happens next. Stood under yellow box trees today that were buzzing. Pulled up on the side of the track, when I shut my truck off my 7 year old daughter said "dad can you here the bees in this tree", before I'd even got out of the vehicle. Long leaf box flowering with it so I've dropped 70 hive there this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2016, 10:07:02 pm »
Nice to hear of stuff still flowering on the big island 😀

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2016, 08:29:51 am »
Yellow box is still flowering but lots of buds holding, now for spring, the cold weather has done that. (Reply if that makes know sense to you, and I'll elaborate).
I've mentioned often that  when the seasons are  out of sync there is always an equalizer.  [Enter cold wet winter/spring].
 Looking like above Ave wet and cool until about the 3rd week of October,  so there to me will be the equalizer.  I'll let you know if I'm correct by about cup weekend.  ( or sooner if I change my observational thoughts).
P.s If your not in Victoria Australia or there abouts then none of the above will make much sense to you, therefore the thread title "what's flowering victoria".

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »
Plants flowering early all summer and autumn as has been noted by so many on this forum other beeks and the general public as well. A good indicator at this time of year particularly around melbourne is acacia baileyana the cootamundra wattle. 9 th of July it should be in full bloom, not just the odd tree but almost all of the trees around (you'll know what I mean when your looking at it). Anyway will be interested to here any comments by about the 9th or 10th or 11th or.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2016, 06:35:51 am »
Down in the wimmera tonight.
 The cold has definitely equaled things up out here. Manuka and the other four species of tea tree are all looking like about normal for this time of year. That is the early bud development has slowed, although a few sunny days can change things quickly. Buds are still holding,  I was a bit concerned that all the rain may have sent the plants off to growth and forced buds to drop but as it's been cold as well as wet it's held and I think it will remain at that. Although I think flowering will finish well before December. I'll tell you about how right I am after December!

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2016, 05:33:14 am »
Got a call on Friday saying the cootamundra wattle was getting flowering down around melbourne.  Very late in my opinion has anyone else noticed it flowering.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2016, 07:59:42 pm »
I don't know what wattles they are here in melbourne, but they are slowly starting to flower, not the normal burst of flowering we get.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:47 am »
Hey Lance.  I'm doing a run upto almonds next week. 2nd run ill be out for a few days do you want to jump in? Great chance to see the almond orchards.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2016, 11:20:27 am »
Hi HCK, would be great to come along, I'm booked in for night shift at this stage for Tuesday and Wednesday nights and that's if nothing else comes along, but I would love to check it out.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2016, 07:39:18 pm »
2nd run should be wed, Thurs. Maybe come on the return run next month. I haven't heard from Oldbeavo to see when he is moving hives in.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:04 pm »
Thanks HCK, I am down to 1 night shift, but of course it's Wednesday night, I am still interested in checking it out.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2016, 09:10:30 am »
Dropped off hives in almond orchards yesterday. 12 hours of driving, it rained the entire time.  Things certainly have come back in sync with this cold wet winter.  Drove through the orchard for 5 minutes and saw 3 flowers ( I could of got out and pollinated them myself). It's got to be the latest I've seen almonds flowering. Lots of buds just waiting for some sunny days. Crops also perhaps behind but looking great.
Black box still holding buds well.
Ground moisture is good (which explains why I got bogged twice before getting loaded Saturday and Sunday).
Anyone else noticed any buds developing?

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2016, 07:37:59 am »
Canola has started to flower in the north west. So has some lupin,  which seems a little early, but only a few crops out now for those looking to get their hives going into spring.
I'm moving hives tomorrow onto canola, it's still too cold to get much nectar but the pollen will be good.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2016, 08:21:46 am »
This is a very interesting thread. HKC do you move your hives around depending on the flowering?

anything