Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa dedected in Australia  (Read 945 times)

Offline max2

• Field Bee
Re: Varroa dedected in Australia
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2022, 07:02:52 pm »
The report below does give a good indication of the situation regarding the weather.

On the map note " Newcastle" - this is the EPI center for Varroa at this point.

I'm North, off the map. It is raining here too. No floods this time...

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/windsors-worst-flood-since-1978/671286

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2022, 08:13:34 pm »
"Phillip - I'm sure I'm not the only one her in Australia who has a laugh each time you in the US are " rooting" for us.
I'm lucky the police is not turning up and cnfiscating my computer!"

Max - When I look at the map last map posted by you in reply 48; www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/varroa showing the sites of positive detection, I see the detection zones are as far away from one another as 200 plus miles. I see no humor here.

Phillip

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:02:58 pm by Ben Framed »
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2022, 09:47:07 pm »
I think Phil, that it?s the differing definition of the term ?rooting? is where the laughing comes from.  :wink:

The inland zone screams commercial migratory beekeeper. Here in the West it will be the migratory beekeeper that brings SHB into the SW, and it?s been tried too I might add, the old cutting off the nose in spite of the face I?m afraid. For the varroa to migrate it will be due to the commercial migratory beekeepers actions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:56:47 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2022, 09:57:17 pm »
Ah ok! lol I get it now!   :cheesy: Thanks Skeggly I am Rooting for you is a Southern Country saying here in my part of America meaning I am on your side and you have my support lol 
Hang in there friends, I am still (rooting for you)!
😂

« Last Edit: Today at 12:05:52 am by Ben Framed »
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2022, 11:21:57 pm »
"If you guys can't buy isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, what do you use to clean propolis off of your hive tools?  Because that's what I use, 70% isopropyl. "

We generally use 18 year old Single Malt. :grin:
:cheesy:  I am genuinely curious.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #65 on: Today at 01:22:36 am »
Thanks, Phil, for still r.....g for us. Glad you got the energy. Skeggley got it.

Varroa is indeed  far too serious for a laugh.

I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now.

Offline max2

• Field Bee
« Reply #66 on: Today at 01:50:36 am »
Latest in
Narrabri - big jump.

I'm also concerned that they are talking about lifting some restrictions.

2000 hives - one mite...sounds like nothing but this is all it takes

https://members.qbabees.org.au/resources/Documents/AHBIC%20Varroa%20incursion%20update%206.pdf

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: Today at 05:32:52 am »
Thanks, Phil, for still r.....g for us. Glad you got the energy. Skeggley got it.

Varroa is indeed  far too serious for a laugh.

I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now.

Max now that you posted my word as  r.....g I think I finally, fully understand. In Australia that is seen as a vulgar expression? If so please accept My humble apology. I meant it as working for something good. Now Im really embraced.
:oops:
Yikes Now I understand why you said the police may come and take your computer! I apologize to each of you. I never meant anything out of the way, vulgar or offensive, but have been sincerely sympathetic in a moral and good way as described in Webster below. 

Phillip

Merriam Webster  American Dictionary
rooted for; rooting for; roots for
Definition of root for
: to express or show support for (a person, a team, etc.) : to hope for the success of (someone or something)
They always root for the home team.
Good luck on your upcoming show. Remember that we're all rooting for you.
rooting
: to encourage a team or contestant by cheering or applauding enthusiastically. to lend moral support: The whole group will be rooting for him.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #68 on: Today at 06:04:18 am »
Quote:
Max2
"I'm just realising that nobody has  the simple gear to make up the gadgets to do an alcohol wash. I try to find # 8 ( I think) mesh...

I got the OK from beeinspector to use Metho  ....my Single Malt should be safe for now."

Max I did not think of that. Looking back, I had trouble finding number 8 here a few years ago. I finally found it in an old family owned hardware store. (No telling how many years the stuff had been sitting on the shelves).

Anyone have any good ideas how to do a successful mite wash 'without' #8 hardware cloth or without a mite wash kit as sold by bee supply companies?

Phillip

Worker bees can fit through #7 if there is a bent wire.  Workers can fit through #6 but it's a squeeze and they can't get pollen through it.  Workers can fit through #5 and it's a squeeze but they can get about half their pollen through it.  Workers and drones can fit through #4.  Some workers will lose pollen just because it caught and popped out, but the won't lose much.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:31:04 am by Ben Framed »