Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden Expansion  (Read 2854 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Garden Expansion
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:55:37 am »
This is my 2nd favorite time of the garden year.... The time to plan for the next year especially for expansions. I have a crazy idea that I am doing something for my son and nephew by having them a working orchard with a veggie garden plot.

This year so far I have purchased Niagra bunch grapes and 4 Titan rabbitteye blueberries. I also plan on buying some Heritage Rasberries and some thornless blackblerries. Has anyone ever grown Heritage Rasberries?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Garden Expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:23 am »
Wallace,
Can you grow raspberries this far south?
I would love to be able to grow raspberries. Every time I have seen them they were in the mountains or up north. What type of soil do they like?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:20:06 am »
According to what I have found they can grow in zone 9.
http://petalsfromthepast.com/catalog/fruit-plants/raspberries.html

The guy who owns and runs this place is a former Auburn Ag professor and I am pretty close to him. I plan on calling him soon and asking him about it and making a trip up there. As for what type of soil do they like that is a good question and I need to look into it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:31:04 am »
"Requires 800 chill hours.  Hardy in zones 4-9.  Plants are shipped in 2 gallon containers."
Most years we do not get even 80 hours of chill.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:13 am »
I will. Last year we did not make it to 800 chill ours but 750. An average year is around 1400 for us though.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:52 am »
We went on vacation in NC a few years back. While walking up to a restaurant one day I noticed the bushes were full of ripe strawberries. I ate ha bunch of them that day. My wife had to drag me away.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »
I might tackle my own mother for the last garden ripe strawberry

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »
I just bought 6 thornless blackberries from petals of the past.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 08:14:42 am »
That's where my neighbor got theirs. No problems with the plants and they love them. Check out Dr Powell's you tube video on trellising/pruning them. Dr. Powell and them won't sell anything there if it won't grow around here. If you tell them where you live, i.e. B'ham/Montgomery they'll still be able to tell you.

Did you see the bee hives there?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 04:48:47 pm »
I did not as I have not been up there yet. I ordered them offline. I am hoping to make it soon.