Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Long Lang Build  (Read 3187 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
First Long Lang Build
« on: March 29, 2020, 04:29:35 pm »
Ran into a problem with my first Long Lang.

It's long sides of 3/4" Plytanium bow out at the top in the middle.  So, I spanned the distance with a middle brace, drawing the sides in to parallel, which is setting now.  I'm guessing this is SOP with horizontal hives.

It's insulated with polyisocyanurate: 1/2" on the bottom, 3/4" on the vertical walls, and 1.5" in the cover.

Overall height is 40", nice working height that I'll enjoy.

It will hold 20 frames in keeping with my small hive experimentation.  But I can see why one would build them much larger, given the trouble.  30 or more frames makes a lot of sense for those that like big hives.  The additional cost in materials would not be that much more.

Going to try something and will report back about it.  Making a 2" round entrance in the bottom toward the front, in the first few inches under the body for shelter.  Will put 1/2" hardware cloth over it.  The hive bottom is 26" off the ground.  Don't know what else could get in there except the bees.  Can SHBs fly straight up or walk upside down?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:42:02 pm by FatherMichael »
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: First Long Lang Build
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:01:02 am »
No, Michael. I haven't had trouble with bowing on my two long hives. Just on one of my swarm boxes and a small nuc I built. I think it has less to do with the length of the board, and more with the makeup and quality of the board. I have thought about it happening, and planned to use a thin piece of metal strap over the middle, like a thin brace holding the sides in place. However, it has not been needed in mine.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:52:04 am »
No, Michael. I haven't had trouble with bowing on my two long hives. Just on one of my swarm boxes and a small nuc I built. I think it has less to do with the length of the board, and more with the makeup and quality of the board. I have thought about it happening, and planned to use a thin piece of metal strap over the middle, like a thin brace holding the sides in place. However, it has not been needed in mine.

I think you're right.  Plytanium is a big box trade brand with a lot of yellow pine in it.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 12:00:31 am »
I used 2x boards for my long hives.  The thicker boards don't bow.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 07:23:51 pm »
It's almost finished.  Lacking hardware at this point -- hinges, hasp, and chain for the top.

We're on extreme travel restrictions here because of the virus; so, I didn't go to the hardware store for final pieces.

It has a sheet metal roof.  Learned to be a tin smith today.

Yes, it's small.  For the trouble I'd go for a longer one if I were to do another.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:45:30 pm by FatherMichael »

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:18 am »
I used 2x boards for my long hives.  The thicker boards don't bow.

I'm experimenting with insulated hives.  This one has 3/4" plywood walls, 1/2" bottom and top, but inside is 1/2" polyisocyanurate on the bottom, 3/4"on the walls and total of 2.25" above the nest (I miscalculated the top insulation in a previous post).

It's a bee cooler!

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 07:42:34 am »
Cao. I may well make another horizontal with 2x boards. Do the tops sit flush with no cracks between?
Michael. Great bee cooler idea. It will keep your drinks maintained at 95 degrees. On the other hand, didn't Jesus say something about lukewarm drink in Revelation?  :wink:

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:38:02 am »
Right, Bob, don't be that lukewarm guy!

Speaking of drinks -- the vent hole I drilled in the top back of the hive needed a plug -- I found one that fits just right -- a St. Francis wine bottle cork!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 11:48:09 am »
Cao. I may well make another horizontal with 2x boards. Do the tops sit flush with no cracks between?

I cut the rabbit in the 2x deep enough to allow for bee space above the frames so the top could just be a flat board.  I think the rabbit was 7/8" deep.