Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 2466 times)

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
New to the forum
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:32:32 pm »
I'm in the 3rd yr of keeping/having bees. I just joined the forum a week ago and thought I should post something. So, going into this past (2015) winter I had 2 hives. I started with 1  hive the first year and they didn't survive the winter, it was pretty darn cold too that winter.  In the spring (2015) my brother and I cut a hive out of a tree for the neighbor, and added a package, giving me 2 hives.
This spring the weather has warmed sooner then in the past and the swarming has been under way here for the past 2-3 weeks. I had to go to a conference a few hundred miles away and my wife messaged me this and said the neighbor, (same neighbor) asked if we wanted it?  Now my wife hasn't really been very active in my beekeeping adventure, but she said "I'll go get it", not really knowing how to go about it. And so, questions started "blowing up" my phone. She finally found a cardboard box, and collected the swarm .
She moved them into a couple shallow 10 frames until I returned, then we moved them into a 10 frame deep with some comb, and started feeding them.  Success!  This was the first swarm we have caught, aside from the cut out last spring.
This past Saturday evening, same neighbor comes over and asked if we had gotten the bees, and we said yes. He says, well there are more, in the same location. So, we go over and sure enough . Holy cow, now we have 4 hives.
And, I did two splits off the original hive about 2 weeks ago and took them to my brothers. So, I'll have 6 hives all together. I need to get busy building wooden ware.

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:46:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the swarms.  :happy:

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:49:31 pm »
Welcome to the Beemaster and congrats on the swarms and getting a new assistant beekeeper.
Nothing better than having your wife helping you out. Pretty soon she will bee making the decisions about the hives.
My wife now owns my observation hive that was never going in her house.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 07:29:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum!   Glad you're off to a great start.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »
Welcome to the Beemaster and congrats on the swarms and getting a new assistant beekeeper.
Nothing better than having your wife helping you out. Pretty soon she will bee making the decisions about the hives.
My wife now owns my observation hive that was never going in her house.  :cheesy:
Jim
That may be something my wife would enjoy with our kids.

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:57 pm »
Jim
That may be something my wife would enjoy with our kids.

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »
Jim
Maybe my wife would like to do that with our kids.

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 09:47:25 pm »
Jim

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 09:47:59 pm »
Jim

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 11:13:49 pm »
TJ,
They make great conversation pieces.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 10:32:20 am »
Welcome, my wife has started helping me again since they've got someone to sit with her parents. I told her the stuff she does may seem small time but it really cuts my time a great deal.

She really gets a big kick out of finding the queen. That could be something to draw you wife in more. Be sure to wear protective clothing. A sting in the eyeball could really mess things up.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:29 pm »
welcome to the forum
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary