Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Emil And I Removed A Bumble Bee Colony On July 3, 2012  (Read 9641 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Emil And I Removed A Bumble Bee Colony On July 3, 2012
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:25:26 pm »
Hopefully I can bring you many more live bumble bee removal videos in the future. I don't get many calls for them and have been wanting to remove one live and relocate them. This colony was removed from the underside of a house trailer not too far from where Emil lives. Emil had the connection on this one. We used a red light at night and vacuumed them up with the Walter Kelley bee vac. About 60 or so were vacuumed. They are extremely loud insects. Holding up the vac inner box they are probably three times as loud as honey bees and emitted what smelled like some kind of orientating pheromone best I could figure. The scent was mostly citrus like with a very faint hint of vomit on the tail end. Mostly like citrus, so that's a good thing!  :-D

Workers removing a large tree that had fallen against the trailer were stung by some of them and did throw one of those pest bombs underneath that wound up killing 20 or so as far as we could guess. The nest itself was concealed under insulation so it was shielded from the bug bomb to a great degree.

There was a small piece of the nest that separated and I was able to observe this piece and try the nectar they had gathered. The nest feels like foam rubber to the touch, very strange. I had read that they collect nectar but don't convert it to honey like honey bees do but I have to tell you that it did not have an unusually high water content. It was very "honey like" and in fact some of the best nectar/honey I have ever tried!

Emil set them up in a medium hive box and placed some coconut fiber under and over the nest. They feel most secure with something almost touching them so the coco fiber should do just fine.

Emil has been giving me daily updates and so far so good.

We did not take a great deal of footage so I had to work with what I have. Hope you enjoy the video!

...JP

Live Bumble Bee Removal July 3, 2012

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline larabee

• New Bee
Re: Emil And I Removed A Bumble Bee Colony On July 3, 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »
Loved it and the music really made me smile. 

This may be a stupid question but I thought they were not perennial so why did they want them removed?  Couldn't they have just left them there for the season?

Am I missing something?

Rene

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »
The workers clearing the tree were stung and there is debris underneath the trailer that needs clearing. Most people who have bumble bees don't think they are a good thing. It was also an opportunity for us to perform the live removal and Emil wanted to set the colony up badly in his yard. The next one I'm keeping!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »
I want to see your avitar with them on your shirt :evil: I don;t think you would be grinning then. ;)

john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »
You likely won't see them on my shirt John. Maybe some plastic ones just for you!  :-D

...JP

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:09:18 am »
I just caught this post today.  How are those bumbles doing.

I relocated a bumble bee colony a couple of months ago.  They are indeed very loud when they are riled up (as in being moved).  My colony was probably about half the size of yours and I didn’t use a bee vacuum.  I just slid a board under the nest, picked the whole thing up (with bees mostly inside) and moved them into a nuc box.  So the bee vac worked well for removing them?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »
I haven't spoken with Emil about them for some time. Will give an update when I do. Last time we spoke of them they were doing fine.

The bee vac worked great on removing them. They are very noisy when in the catch box (3 x as loud as honey bees!) and put out a powerful smelling pheromone that smells mostly citrus like.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »
Funny I just caught this video and played it. My husband) who was in the next room and really did not know what I was watching, said the music is called "The flight of the bumble bee".

Did you know that JP?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 01:39:21 pm »
Yes, I did Annette. I like this version also. There are a handful of other versions.

...JP

Offline wildforager

• New Bee
    • Brooms By Little John
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:29:46 pm »
Wow thats a big bumble bee nest! I saw 2 bumble nests this year and both were the size of a grapefruit. Must be yankee bumlbers. Those southern bumble bees make quite a large colony!
A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. -Luther Burbank

To find out more about me check out my website.... www.broomsbylittlejohn.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:53:27 pm »
Believe it or not, I would actually say that this one was on the average size compared to other ones I've fooled with in my locale.

...JP