Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: News from OZ  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
News from OZ
« on: June 26, 2022, 05:56:37 am »
Hi Folks
In Australia the Department of Agriculture run sentinel hives at all ports.
On Friday it was announced that Varoa destructor had been detected in a hive at Newcastle port.
Newcastle is a large port North of Sydney. All of the state of New South Wales has been put into no bee movement type quarantine.
No more info other than what i have posted.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: News from OZ
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 08:48:46 pm »
Sorry, friend.

You at least have the advantage of being privy to 30-ish years of experience/ conversations about management.

I hope y'all get together, make a coherent plan, stick to it, and eradicate the thing from your land.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 12:31:22 am »
  You may like a little  more information..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-06-24/varroa-mite-detected-at-newcastle-port/101180446

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
News from OZ
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 06:59:53 am »
It can be slowed down and controlled but very unlikely to be successful at being eradicated. The rest of the planet has been trying to get rid of it for 40 years. The worst possible thing to do (for the industry) would be to start killing off colonies trying to rid them of a persistent pest that kills colonies. Dead by people or dead by mites, they are dead. That is hard rationale to support. Everyone else has tried that, and failed.  At least with education and methods, the bees have a chance and do survive the mite.  The bees cannot survive the bee-killer-people mental approach.
The best course of action is to put full efforts at getting best-practices information in front of beekeepers and ensure ALL are quick to study to learn the management techniques fast as possible.  Start the training classes now.
Just sayin? .. the mite is there now, gotta step up the game and adapt to live on with it.  Welcome to the next -level up- of beekeeping.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 11:49:37 pm »
No doubt we are all rooting for you! I am afraid HoneyPump is on the right trail, concerning eradication.

If it is not eradicated in OZ. I am sure there are others but the only place 'that I know of' that is left to be varroa free, is the Isle of Man.... Their is a gardener/beekeeper there who at my last correspondence states, the Isle of Man is varroa free.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 06:55:25 pm »
So far the eradication program seems to be well under way. There are two factors that make me optimistic about eradication.
One is it is winter over here so there is limited natural bee movement.
Two is that there is a mountain range West of the outbreak that provides a natural barrier as there will not be any commercial bees in this area.
I think the key to the eradication is the feral population, has it got into this population. No reports of any yet.
As the majority of Oz BK's are migratory, some with a range of over 1000k's and so Varroa control for us over here would be a nightmare.
Also we have had the experience of watching other countries deal with Varroa has us to modify the attack on the mite.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 06:17:28 am »
So far the quarantine areas are holding with no new reports outside these areas.
The authorities are still on eradication program.
I hope they are successful as i don't want to bee keep with Varroa.

anything