Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Special built honey tasting nuc?  (Read 320 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Field Bee
Special built honey tasting nuc?
« on: June 03, 2022, 08:21:38 am »
I have a friend who gets this sweet, dark, buttery molasses flavored honey in his area. So I am planning on building a regular nuc that will make their own queen from a frame of eggs and putting it out there.
If I stock it with a lot of capped brood, shouldn't they fill me 3 nice frames of that honey by the time they produce a laying queen? (I could also use that queen.)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Special built honey tasting nuc?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 09:41:59 am »
 Bob,
It depends on how many field bees are in it and how strong the flow is.
Jim Altmiller

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 10:34:03 am »
I agree Jim

Resources:
Just curious; How long does this particular nectar come in for this type honey? What is the nectar source? Bob,  Do you have the resources to place a producing hive ready to go instead?
Phillip
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Bob Wilson

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 07:19:40 pm »
Jim...
 If there are a lot of emerging brood, and no queen laying, will they graduate the nurse bees early into the field? I suppose I will need to shake in a lot of bees from other frames, but those are mostly nurse bees also.
Ben...
Yes. I have the resources. I am not sure the nectar source. We are trying to discover it. Last year it seemed a June flow, when usually there is none. I never saw it in my area.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 07:51:33 am »
Bob,
If you drop in a bunch of nurse bees and you have a lot of capped brood, then the older nurse bees can then switch jobs and become the field bees.
Swarms are mostly nurse bees with a bunch of scouts. As soon as the new brood start hatching the older nurse bees switch jobs and become the field bees.
Jim Altmiller

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 08:11:17 am »
Ben...
Yes. I have the resources. I am not sure the nectar source. We are trying to discover it. Last year it seemed a June flow, when usually there is none. I never saw it in my area.

Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you Bob. Let us know if you find the nectar source.

Phillip
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 10:19:28 am »
On a flow with no brood to feed, a nuc box fills up remarkably fast.  If it is mostly the honey which you want, you might want to consider putting out a full sized box. Perhaps even a double deep.
You could put your queenless nuc sized colony, with large brood frames, into the bottom of a double deep.  Set that out and forget about it for 4 to 6 weeks.  Assuming a good flow period through that, When you go back to it there will be either:  a nice queenrite hive full of honey or a nice laying worker hive full of honey.  Either way, you will have a harvest. 
The bees will spend the next 4 days undoing all of the wrongs that the beekeeper just did to them.