Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees on citrus  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
Bees on citrus
« on: April 26, 2022, 07:34:16 pm »
Well the limes are in flower so as promised an update.

Its early days but my lime farm yard has been flowering for a couple of weeks now and I have noticed the following:

- no difference YET in bee temperament.
- a runny, light sweet subtle honey, but not as rounded or complex as others...you can definitely taste the lime though which is pleasant.
- a moderate flow. Not as strong as I thought it would be but I'm not complaining.
- too many hive beatles. More than I have seen before. I'm guessing due to dropped rotting fruit! I will have to keep a close eye on these hives and keep them strong.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Bees on citrus
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 08:08:44 pm »
- a runny, light sweet subtle honey, but not as rounded or complex as others...you can definitely taste the lime though which is pleasant.
That sounds delicious!  I love light honeys.  :tongue:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 11:55:41 pm »
too many hive beatles. More than I have seen before. I'm guessing due to dropped rotting fruit! I will have to keep a close eye on these hives and keep them strong.

Bee North, what do y'all do in Australia to deal with SHB?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 12:35:43 am »
Hi Ben

Same as everyone else I suppose. Traps....struggle....traps!

I used to use traps of various forms in all my hives. We can also purchase or make pesticide traps here in Australia which I believe is banned over your way, but I may be wrong.

I used to use them myself, as that's what everyone in my club used at the time. I stopped using them after my first season because I found condensation building up inside the cartridge to the point of overflowing!!! They may be ok in dryer climates but not in the tropics.

I keep it simple now. I use oil traps in my nucs while they build up and not much in my hives.

I just keep my hives strong and manage space closely. I also use hive mats which seems to help the girls trap the Beatles under them.

I havnt lost a production hive to SHB...yet. I have lost a couple of nucs though. Nucs that I made up with too few bees.

Hi 15th Member,

Yes light honey is delicious i agree!

All my honey in sweet light honey. I would love to stumble over some darker stuff for a change, but I have yet to get some in any my hives.

I have two new yards now so let's wait and see🤞

anything