Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apistan  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Apistan
« on: February 27, 2022, 07:48:03 pm »
So, an interesting thing here, I bought apistan this year from one of the big box stores. I had a brutal mite count after removing. I brought this up at my local bee club meeting and was told that other people had the same problem due to it being expired. I looked on the one box I had left and the date was blacked out by marker. Just saying, at 259.00 give or take a box, should this be a buyer beware issue?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Apistan
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:41:25 pm »
I totally had this happen to me!  I bought a package of FormicPro from a farm store in the next town over.  I had never used the stuff before, so I didn't notice that the expiration tab had been removed from the corner of the package.  I used it and had no problems.  The next year I purchased another package from them, but noticed it was expired.  They let me return it and exchanged it for a newer batch, but a few weeks later I went into the store to get some rabbit pellets and saw the exact package I had given back to them (I know it was the same because FormicPro changed their packaging and it was the last one of the older style they had) back on the shelf with the expiration date Sharpied over!   :angry:  I personally never purchased anything from that store again.  They are the only store that carries goat minerals around here unfortunately, so my sister has to patronize them, but I can never feel good about them after that.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 11:48:23 pm »
Well I was just putting this out there cause I never look. Just saying. Shame on me. I will from now on though.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Apistan
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 06:55:04 pm »
Bill.  Mites have developed resistance/immunity to Apistan for 25+ years ago. Apistan also leaves long lasting residue in the combs that will affect future brood development and vitality of the colony. It is very unlikely that the date of the package was the efficacy problem.  Resistant mites are. 
As for expiry.  Dates have to be on the package by regulation.  With respect to Formic - that stuff last nearly forever.  Have no concern over using it up to 4yrs past the expiry.  Same with ApiVar .. Assuming the package is sealed and it has been stored in a cool dark place.
Mites are not yet resistant to:  Thymol, Formic acid, Oxalic Acid, Amitraz. Look for approved products that have those as the miticide.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:07:08 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 03:58:18 pm »
Neither Apistan nor CheckMite have worked since at least the early 2000s.  I don't know why they still sell them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 07:46:25 pm »
I know its been a long time since this post but I spoke with someone at the UNF bee lab about this last week. I wont put the name here because I cant remember the specific response. The claim was though that not all mites are resistant but some are. So 1 yard might have resistant mites while another dosnt. Just food for thought.

anything