Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Did my hive die of Hive Beetles?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline tjernigan

• Brood
Did my hive die of Hive Beetles?
« on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:29 pm »
I believe in just 14 days my hive got ravaged by hive beetles. Am I correct that the maggots I see inside some of the pictured cells are hive beetle larvae?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Did my hive die of Hive Beetles?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:39:54 pm »
I believe in just 14 days my hive got ravaged by hive beetles. Am I correct that the maggots I see inside some of the pictured cells are hive beetle larvae?

Welcome to Beemaster. I can not see the image clearly enough to tell, even with the picture blown up. My personal experience with SHB is definitely a clear understanding. There will be little maggots crawling around everywhere, all over the frame, and you should see grown SHB darting in and out of the cells. Along with this there will be a messy, gooey, slippery gleaming slime throughout the honey frames. The honey will be ruined.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:44:19 pm »
Adding, what I can see which is vage, looks what might be varroa mite frass along the edges and inside of the cells. If the picture was a little clearer, it would help. Hopefully others with better eyesight than my own can help you further.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 01:35:41 pm »
I agree, the picture is a little small, a little low res. but I don't see any SHB larvae.  If you are referring to the larvae that are sitting in the bottom of the cells, those are just dead bee larvae.  SHB and waxworms will pay no attention to the comb cells and will just chew through and destroy as they walk around, they don't just sit in cells like bee larvae do.  I also see quite a bit of mite frass, so I'd be inclined to think it's varroa that's the true culprit. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 06:16:45 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I don?t see any sign of SHBs. Hard to tell what it looks is. Try posting more pictures.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:48:19 am »
Did they abscond? Larvae appear to be abandoned.  No capped cells?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:20:45 pm »
Did they abscond? Larvae appear to be abandoned.  No capped cells?

Good point Brian..

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 05:47:17 pm »
I don't see SHB larvae.  They squirm and move.  Honey bee larvae seem to be immobile (though they are really slowly rotating in the bottom of the cell).  Generally SHB don't kill a healthy strong colony.  Though I admit colonies that might have turned around before SHB came along, sometimes get taken out.  But it is generally a weak hive that gets hit with SHB larvae.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin