Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Natives look like they are swarming  (Read 4034 times)

Offline mike888

• Brood
Natives look like they are swarming
« on: September 15, 2018, 01:22:15 am »
Hi, I don't know much about natives so hoping someone can shine some light on what is happening. An old housemate left a hive of natives which for the last several years have had no problems. This last week or so they have been flying around outside of the hive erratically during the middle of the day in a large cluster. Today quite a few of them have started coming into the house so it has become a bit of a problem. They look like they are swarming but it has been going for about 10 days.

I'd appreciate any info on what might be happening.

Offline felmo1

• New Bee
Re: Natives look like they are swarming
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:33:45 am »
Native bees don't swarm as per honey bees. 
To repopulate they will over a length of time set up stores of honey and pollen into a new location and only then will a virgin queen be enticed to relocate.  The whole process is gradual and no swarming as such occurs.
What you probably seen is fighting from another hive.  It isn't uncommon but distressing to watch.
Did you observe any dead bees?
I would have thought any fighting would be over within a day.  10 days, I don't know why.

Alan

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 01:14:38 am »
Native bees don't swarm as per honey bees. 
To repopulate they will over a length of time set up stores of honey and pollen into a new location and only then will a virgin queen be enticed to relocate.  The whole process is gradual and no swarming as such occurs.
What you probably seen is fighting from another hive.  It isn't uncommon but distressing to watch.
Did you observe any dead bees?
I would have thought any fighting would be over within a day.  10 days, I don't know why.

Alan

Alan does the homey from these bees taste about the same as our European bees honey?
Thanks,

Phillip
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:27:21 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 05:21:49 am »
Mike,
Welcome to Beemaster.
I will be watching this, interesting question.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 05:45:07 am »
Alan does the homey from these bees taste about the same as our European bees honey?
Thanks,

Phillip

The native bees store the honey in propolis pots and therefore the honey is very tangy.
Kev

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 09:57:14 am »
Very tangy indeed.
They produce about 1kg a year. The honey has been found to have many health benefits....and is expensive  about $ Aus 450 last one i saw for sale.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:12:23 am »
Kanga
The native bees store the honey in propolis pots and therefore the honey is very tangy.
Kev

max2
Very tangy indeed.
They produce about 1kg a year. The honey has been found to have many health benefits....and is expensive  about $ Aus 450 last one i saw for sale.

That makes plenty sense being stored in propolis would surely give it a tang. Also the health benefits as well. Thank you both for the information..
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 02:58:06 pm »
I didn't see this thread until today, sorry that I'm late to the party.  I'm confused about what kind of bees they are.  Does Australia have native honey bees? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 03:27:14 pm »
I think they are the stingless ones. Small colonies and honey in small cups.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 03:27:18 pm »
Member I do not know much about the Native Honey Bees of Australia. It seems eltalia mentioned these bees a few years back but my memory is fuzzy. Maybe some of our friends will educate us.  I have heard more than once that propolis has health benefits. Honey stored in propolis naturally by bees themselves, sounds like something favorably useful and perhaps of extra value.. As Jim stated and I concur; This topic is very interesting to me as well. .

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 03:29:27 pm »

Nigel, you and I were posting about the same time.   :happy:

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 04:04:20 pm »
Oh stingless bees, like they have in Mexico.  That's interesting.  I'll have to do some looking at them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 03:31:30 am »
Oh stingless bees, like they have in Mexico.  That's interesting.  I'll have to do some looking at them. 

There is some good information at the following website which may help answer your questions.
https://www.aussiebee.com.au/australian-stingless-bees.html
Kev

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »
There is some good information at the following website which may help answer your questions.
https://www.aussiebee.com.au/australian-stingless-bees.html
Kev
Thanks!  I'll take a look at that.  It looks like there is a lot of good info there.