Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robber Screens  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Robber Screens
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
Hello all. Noob question, but I have no experience with robber screens. Looking back at my previous years I should be using them. Two falls ago I had my hives wiped clean by yellow jackets. I became more diligent with entrance reducers but after some research I started to wonder why I don't use them. I have made some for some of my mating nucs and for my regular nucs. I have begun to make them for my full hives.

i have screwed the robber screens to my mating nucs and regular nucs. I full intend on using them year round on them. One question I have, is there any reason I couldn't use them year round on my full hives?  Any drawbacks to that?  I know that a strong hive will be able to protect itself but this would mean I don't have to monkey at all with entrance reducers, which I can never manage to keep on.

As of now my screens for my nucs have a top and bottom wooden piece and the notch is in the top piece. I have left the top open on my full hives figuring they wouldn't need it reduced further with the robbing screen. If I plan on using them year round am I ok with this setup?  Should I maybe find a way to apply a removable reducer to the full sized hives?  That would also allow me to easily mouse proof my hives. That's something I have struggled with. This would allow for good ventilation but yet no mice in winter. 

Thoughts on all that?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Robber Screens
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:32:11 pm »
I would remove the screens from full size hives during a major honey flow. Other than that, your plan is fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »
For my full hives should I keep with the wide open top design?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:53:03 pm »
They are similar to this guys.

https://goo.gl/images/w4XnNb
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:42:03 pm »
Mine hold the screen 3/8 inch from the hive body. I leave to top open full width. I wouldn't leave that deep an entrance, but I never have, so don't know that they wouldn't work. They may work as well as mine, but I am happy with the 3/8.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:44 pm »
It would be easy enough to put in the extra piece to reduce it to 3/8" space. Even if it means a little extra safety. I like putzing in the shop anyways.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:09:08 pm »

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:27:14 pm »
Robber screens get in the way of OAV treatments and winter wrap. 
I don't think a strong hive needs it but I put them on all nucs and packages until they are up to strength. 
I find them very useful and should be a part of most apiaries. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:41:59 am »
If you want to bee able to remove them easily, add 4 little post/cylinder magnets in the 4 corners and add nails in the same position on your hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:54 am »
Jim, I just set them with 2 drywall screws, I have 20-30 going at the same time.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 09:29:53 am »
Robber screens get in the way of OAV treatments and winter wrap. 
I don't think a strong hive needs it but I put them on all nucs and packages until they are up to strength. 
I find them very useful and should be a part of most apiaries.

I don't oav. If I were to use oaxilic acid it'd be a dribble. I also have no use for a winter wrap as I winter indoors. Wintering indoors in a bee shed has been the best beekeeping decision that I have ever made.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:03 am »
Would love to see bee shed.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 06:41:25 pm »
Oh it's not something to brag about how beautiful it is. It's effective and not pretty. It's just a small garden shed. I insulated it. I run two dryer ducts to opposing sides of the shed. One has a online fan that runs twice a day to freshen air. I have space heater plugged into something that only powers what's plugged into it when the temp is between 35-45. I think it's for livestock water heaters. It's sealed up and dark. Bees get a poop break once or twice a winter. Have fun the shed two winters and have never had a hive perish in the winter in the shed. I have a topic around here somewhere that has pics. I'll probably post in there to update.

Edit- found the topic. Has pics a few posts down

http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=45610.0
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:45:36 pm by Bush_84 »
Keeping bees since 2011.