Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mushrooms are in  (Read 2696 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Mushrooms are in
« on: March 22, 2020, 09:32:51 pm »
We only had two logs produce so far. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Mushrooms are in
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:33:37 pm »
I?m not a mushroom fan at all but they look pretty nice.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 11:41:09 pm »
I do not know much about mushrooms but you have sparked my interest. As Jim said, these do look nice. jvalentour Where would a person start in the process of educating themselves on mushrooms? In other words, how did you get involved in mushroom farming?

Philip Hall

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:28:11 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:37:40 pm »
Ben Framed I'm not really farming mushrooms yet.  Just checking it out for viability. 
I have 30 logs now and grow enough for family and friends.  I have talked to a couple of restaurants about their supply needs.
It takes a few years to develop a steady flow of produce.  The picture represents a $20-30 retail value of shiitake mushrooms.  So I am becoming very interested.
I was talking to a neighbor near the farm and she turned me on to the process.  Seems easy enough if you don't mind manual labor.  I have the space and environment to produce a good amount.  Finding buyers 2-3 years from now is being researched.

I plan to visit a few growers and check out their operation. 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:54:42 pm »
I grew Shiitakes - had about 40 logs, and it is my favorite. Try a Shiitake mushroom pie with a butter crust - oh my

Good luck

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:13:27 pm »
Something like this?

A few shiitake mushrooms added to the cremini or button mushrooms can really dial up the mushroom flavor in this mushroom pie, so if you have them, use them! If not, no worries, the mushroom pie will still be wonderful without them.
Ingredients

1 basic pie dough recipe, rolled out and lining a 9 or 10-inch pie dish, or 8x8 baking dish, frozen for at least 30 minutes (or one deep-dish frozen pie crust)
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 lb cremini or button mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    4 to 5 shiitake mushrooms, caps only, sliced (optional)
    1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup cream
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup sour cream
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    A dash of ground cardamom or nutmeg (optional)
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 cup (4 ounces) grated Monterey Jack cheese

Sounds good.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 12:12:45 pm »
That one sound good too.  I use Camille Glenn's recipe and use all Shiitake and a tad more cream since Shiitake soak up so much liquid.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »
How do you store the mushrooms once you harvest them? How long will they stay edible once stored?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:31 pm »
Ben - I always stored mine in brown paper bags in a cool location, but sold at the farmers market so they didn't last long.  If I knew I wouldn't be able to sell - market not going on, I dried them, sealed in bags and sold or cooked with them myself.

Jvalentour's pic below shows mushrooms that are perfect for cutting. You want to harvest before they lose the cup around the edges.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 10:47:24 am »
I grew mushrooms indoors last year.  I did shitaki and oyster.  I decided I did not like the shitaki though my wife liked them very well.  I did like the oyster though.  They taste a little more like a morel.  It is almost mushroom season here for morel and maybe I will find a few.  I decided to quit growing the mushrooms indoors cause I got tired of the pressure cooker and all my logs being all over the place all the time and had a pretty inconsistent pattern of keeping the logs from getting contaminated.  It was a fun project though.  I did give a bunch of ice cream pail type straw logs of oyster mushrooms to my family members so they could enjoy a batch or two for themselves.  Good luck and yours look really nice.

Cheers
gww

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:33 pm »
BF,
I really don't know the answer to that question.  I have an idea it's about the same as any fresh produce.
I'll send you a PM when i get further along.
All area growers are shut down to the public right now.
J

Thanks GWW.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:00 am »

>I'll send you a PM when i get further along.

Thanks that will be great.