Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits  (Read 9044 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Splits
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 01:48:37 am »
Allen,

A followup question - your saying that since the bees can smell the queen, but can't get to her, they will raise a new queen(s)?
It isn?t that they cannot get to her, it is that the retenue bees are not able to spread the queen pheromones into the upper boxes.
Jim

Ahhh - makes sense now. Thank you sir.

I like what your doing there, and thank you for the video. ... 2 of my hives are getting huge. I've got to do something as soon as we get a fair-weather day here. I'm trying to capture as much of a honey crop as possible this year. However, with the way they are growing I'm worried about swarming. I was hoping to wait till May (flow slows then) and then split these down - maybe from 2 to 10. .... but I think now I have to look towards options that will allow continued honey production, and splits at the same time.

Your system, combined with Mr. Bush's explaination of opening the brood nest, might allow me a middle road so to speak - splits (brood frames) and splits (screens), while continuing production. ... that's where I'm at right now.

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:01 am »
Everything I've been reading is when you split is feed, feed,feed and I'm assuming that's for starter strips or new foundation.

Not quite.  It assumes there is not enough resources in the hive to make a good queen.  I do not feed.  I make sure there is enough honey in the hive or the timing is such that there is a good flow.  Now that I am in FL I will have to learn the new timing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 12:43:49 am »
I had pulled out all the cells except for 2 on this frame. Queen was already moved out (3years old)and I made a split from it and took cells into a failing queen. So there was only 2 in it. I did make a mistake on my dates and thought she be laying but they just hatched so will check again in a week
JT,
If your queen just hatched, it may take up to 11 days for her to mate and a day or more for her to start laying. I would give her another 17 days before you inspect.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 09:34:09 am »
I had pulled out all the cells except for 2 on this frame. Queen was already moved out (3years old)and I made a split from it and took cells into a failing queen. So there was only 2 in it. I did make a mistake on my dates and thought she be laying but they just hatched so will check again in a week
JT,
If your queen just hatched, it may take up to 11 days for her to mate and a day or more for her to start laying. I would give her another 17 days before you inspect.
Jim
Went back in 2 days ago, and the new queen is just starting to lay, added 2 frames of sealed from my donor hive to help out. All my re queens have taken (knock on wood) and there pattern has been good.  So will see what shakes out.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:00 pm »
Everything I've been reading is when you split is feed, feed,feed and I'm assuming that's for starter strips or new foundation.

Not quite.  It assumes there is not enough resources in the hive to make a good queen.  I do not feed.  I make sure there is enough honey in the hive or the timing is such that there is a good flow.  Now that I am in FL I will have to learn the new timing.

Mikey, I have heard and read the same as you in the situation that if you want to help the new splits get off to a running start.(thrive), you must Make sure that they have the resources readly available to feed and  build comb etc. Sock the sugar water to them! Ace is probabaly on the money assuming the splits are made in the middle of a flow. I guess this depends on each individuals place of residents and time of year. As you might have read here in other post. I made some (really late) fall splits during the time of goldenrod. I took no chance going into winter by not feeding
Even though the goldenrods were booming. They built up very fast, including drawing out comb. I added tea tree oil, wintergreen, and spearmint essential oil to the sugar water as advised by at least 3 breeders. Two from Georgia, one from Indiana. Each one gave me the same good advise. These late season splits not only survived the winter but thrived during the winter and thus far. Even now the Nucs are booming, In fact I have already had to add a second box on all seven and on one of these, a third box, along with converting one over to a ten frame, and just yesterday had to add another 10 frame on top of the one. Now take into consideration, just a couple weeks ago it was to cold to open the boxes. This is how wonderfully they are building and how fast. Let me add, I also feed, in open feeders ultra bee as advised by these same three breeders, including the Indiana breeder which is in even colder weather than am I And with the good advise of LIVE OAK.
On the warmer days, they would fly out and take advantage of this supplement. Honestly, I didn't realize that bees would fly in the winter as this was my first winter with bees, but I noticed, as taking notes, anytime the tempatures would approach 50 they would COVER the pollen supplement. I have also noticed that since natural pollen, that they are finding, has caused them to TOTALLY lose interest in the pollen substitute. Good luck!
Phillip
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:56:32 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 04:21:23 pm »
Well checked on some of my checkerbording hives and they were building well. This frame was new on Saturday also my veil had a hole  I think it was from my new hive tools being razor sharp bumped my veil, got lucky just a face full of bees no stings :cool:

Looking good!  Did you use foundation? If so what type?  I am looking forward to my bees drawing new comb, so far the weather is not right for it here. I have not found any evidence of the bees being ready to draw new comb. I am thinking not yet quite warm enough here for it, but being this is my first bee spring, I could be wrong.

jtcmedic
Well this was on plastic foundation. And have been feeding 1:1 had read if you add a pinch of salt to the 1:1 it increases wax but can?t find it any were else.

jtcmedic, what a difference three weeks can make as you can see from my post here in late February and my most recent post here! I Just wanted to let you know that I added the pinch of salt each time I mixed syrup and essential oils. I can't say that this helped improve wax and comb building, but I can say; it certainly didn't hurt progress! My hives are booming! Thank you for the tip! Weather it did or didn't help I will continue to add the (pinch of salt) for early spring buildup, unless one of our experts here know of a reason why not add salt.
Thanks, Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 04:26:38 pm »
Well checked on some of my checkerbording hives and they were building well. This frame was new on Saturday also my veil had a hole  I think it was from my new hive tools being razor sharp bumped my veil, got lucky just a face full of bees no stings :cool:

Looking good!  Did you use foundation? If so what type?  I am looking forward to my bees drawing new comb, so far the weather is not right for it here. I have not found any evidence of the bees being ready to draw new comb. I am thinking not yet quite warm enough here for it, but being this is my first bee spring, I could be wrong.

jtcmedic
Well this was on plastic foundation. And have been feeding 1:1 had read if you add a pinch of salt to the 1:1 it increases wax but can?t find it any were else.

jtcmedic, what a difference three weeks can make as you can see from my post here in late February and my most recent post here! I Just wanted to let you know that I added the pinch of salt each time I mixed syrup and essential oils. I can't say that this helped improve wax and comb building, but I can say; it certainly didn't hurt progress! My hives are booming! Thank you for the tip! Weather it did or didn't help I will continue to add the (pinch of salt) for early spring buildup, unless one of our experts here know of a reason why not add salt.
Thanks, Phillip
Well glad it helped you but didn?t do anything for me but will try again

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 04:38:47 pm »
I'm not certain if it did or didn't but I was persistent about it and kept adding each time I mixed feed. Thanks again!

Let me add, I read somewhere that bees do indeed need salt. I have heard that they will go to swimming pools for the added salt, bypassing other water sources. Is this true?

anything