Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My double colony problem/ question  (Read 3119 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: My double colony problem/ question
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2022, 06:12:43 pm »
Cut a piece (or two) of 1/8" Luan plywood the size of your boxes.  Now you can run what looks like one hive but is actually two.  Just put a bottom entrance on the bottom hive and a top entrance on the top hive with the plywood in between.  Now you can run six hives and not even a beekeeper will notice...
I did something similar to that once when I had an equipment shortage.  I called that hive "The Apartment".  :cheesy:  I only ran the hive like that temporarily, until the bottom board I had on order arrived. 

I did it!!
https://youtu.be/g-rr0My2wbU
Now I?m observing them scattering looking for that bleep eyed side entrance .
Maybe it was a double and I took off QE so we will see!
Good job, Salty!  Did you inspect the colony at all today, or did you just removed the excluder and clean things up?  I'm just curious what it looks like in there.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 06:48:04 pm »
I sat on the porch all afternoon watching them gather at the bottom entrance
I did not inspect the bottom
I robbed two frames from the top box so they would have room.
I got 6 quarts of honey today.
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2022, 08:06:54 pm »
I sat on the porch all afternoon watching them gather at the bottom entrance
I did not inspect the bottom
I robbed two frames from the top box so they would have room.
I got 6 quarts of honey today.
Nice!  So there was no brood in the top?  Then they've probably got it all figured out already. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

salvo

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2022, 11:09:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'd second Michael Bush's statement, only I'd not use a queen excluder. I'd use a Snelgrove board. Keep the colonies from mixing.

One hive, multiple colonies. Loophole.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344254950_THE_SNELGROVE_BOARD_One_Method_of_Swarm_Control_With_a_Few_Other_Benefits

Sal

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 02:16:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'd second Michael Bush's statement, only I'd not use a queen excluder. I'd use a Snelgrove board. Keep the colonies from mixing.

One hive, multiple colonies. Loophole.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344254950_THE_SNELGROVE_BOARD_One_Method_of_Swarm_Control_With_a_Few_Other_Benefits

Sal
Good article, Sal!  I've got a Snelgrove board, so I'll be saving that PDF.  Thanks for posting.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2022, 11:16:12 pm »
Maybe a different subject buuttt. I have never seen a Snelgrove board, but I assume it is a double screen, with screens about 1/8 inch apart.  My question is, "What would be the results if you used a single screen between two colonies stacked, 1. would there be significant fighting in a hive combine situation. 2. could this be used in stacked nukes.  3. would the queens fight 4. If one colony was queenless in a combine would the queenless colony raise a new queen if the SB was left in.  4. why don't the bees in a two queen hive fight as some workers carry one queen pheromone scent and others carry another scent.  Would the above answers be the same with window screen as with 1/8" hardware screen

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2022, 12:39:47 am »
Maybe a different subject buuttt. I have never seen a Snelgrove board, but I assume it is a double screen, with screens about 1/8 inch apart.  My question is, "What would be the results if you used a single screen between two colonies stacked, 1. would there be significant fighting in a hive combine situation. 2. could this be used in stacked nukes.  3. would the queens fight 4. If one colony was queenless in a combine would the queenless colony raise a new queen if the SB was left in.  4. why don't the bees in a two queen hive fight as some workers carry one queen pheromone scent and others carry another scent.  Would the above answers be the same with window screen as with 1/8" hardware screen
I don't have any experience with double queen colonies, but I've seen bees fight through a single screen.  If I remember correctly, it was a time when I had a colony that was being robbed that had a screened inner cover.  The robbers were attempting to get in there, and there was a pile of dead bees on the screen. 

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2022, 06:32:24 am »
This was the first time in 4 years that I actually had a blast going into a hive.
My plan was clear, I kinda knew what I?d find and I plopped a chair right by the hive and went to work.
I pitched some honey comb around the hive and it seemed to keep them busy.
It?s amazing to watch them clean a comb so quickly.
They never attacked me but there was a ton of activity around me in the air.
I accidentally left a hatch cover flipped in allowing them for top access still. Later that night I went out and secured the top. Now everyone is using the bottom entrance.
Looks like a happy hive and more happier keeper!
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2022, 11:34:00 am »
This was the first time in 4 years that I actually had a blast going into a hive.
My plan was clear, I kinda knew what I?d find and I plopped a chair right by the hive and went to work.
I accidentally left a hatch cover flipped in allowing them for top access still. Later that night I went out and secured the top. Now everyone is using the bottom entrance.
Looks like a happy hive and more happier keeper!
That's awesome, Salty!   :happy:

Something like that is fine in a flow, but I'd be very hesitant to do have comb, syrup, or anything attractive to the bees lying around in a dearth, even for a short amount of time.  That's a recipe for drawing in robbers.       

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2022, 11:34:02 am »
The difference between a double screen (snelgrove, demaree etc.) and a single screen is that they can't share QMP by mouth through the double screen and that means they will keep or start a queen.  With a single screen they can share and so the queenless side knows they have a queen are are unlikely to start one/keep one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2022, 11:44:51 am »
The difference between a double screen (snelgrove, demaree etc.) and a single screen is that they can't share QMP by mouth through the double screen and that means they will keep or start a queen.  With a single screen they can share and so the queenless side knows they have a queen are are unlikely to start one/keep one.
Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks Michael.  :happy:

anything