Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless frames  (Read 28604 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Foundationless frames
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 08:37:50 pm »
Ok here is an updated picture of the frame I wired in the comb from the hive in the chicken coop. This is one week later. They attached everyting at the top and to one side. Once all attached do I remove the wire?

Sorry its not too clear but I was trying to hold and photograph. It does seem they are building the comb out quicker on the foundationless frame VS the plastic frames.

Here is the picture of the frame right beside the foundationless one. It has brood in it but the rest of the frames not as much.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:36 am »
Looks good to me :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »
it's also worth noting that langstroth's original frames were foundationless.  this is something that most experienced beekeepers don't know (or don't remember)....it's amazing the "forgotten" information that has always been in the abc (xyz) that no one ever seems to have noticed.

the industry did jump on the foundation bandwagon very quickly when it became available...which of course also started to mess with the cell size.

i've ordered myself a couple of old a.i. root books that i've seen at another beekeepers house...the only books i've seen that were published after the invention (and wide adoption) of foundation that gave an anyalisis on situations where foundation helps, and where it holds the bees/the beekeeper back.  to be honest, i was reading this as i was falling asleep one night, and didn't absorb the information, but will share it here when i return home and have a chance to look it over carefully.

deknow