Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vacuuming an angry hive  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
Vacuuming an angry hive
« on: April 22, 2019, 06:13:19 pm »
Bees have become VERY defensive during honey flow and I have not been able to complete an inspection in a month. Drones coming and going by the dozens early afternoon  and much activity at the entrance. I am wondering if my beevac would allow me to complete an inspection as I want to split this hive before it swarms. I plan to requeen later but these are A Cerana (Bali) so not as easy as buying a new queen. Thanks.

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
Re: Vacuuming an angry hive
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:41:14 pm »
Update...Vac worked well, I put half inch cubes of sponge in bottom of cage, only bee damaged were the ones that stung me or my equiptment. Later that day I was rescuing bees from the ant moat (absolute necessity where I live) and my face was very close to their entrance and they were very quiet. Its only when you touch the frames that they become monsters from hell.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:30:56 pm »
Bali,
The reason you have not had any answers here is because we do not have many beeks that have apis ceranae bees. Good to hear it worked out.
Have you read my smoking technique in order to calm down even the meanest of bees?
One thing that you can do with the beevac is remove most of the guard bees at the entrance. This can help along with proper smoking to calm them down.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:06:22 am »
Understand that I didn't get replies for that reason but the only networks here speak bahasa Indonesia but I intend to push on regardless - love beekeeping and have been stung that often that I hardly notice them after the innitial zap. Could you do me a favour and give me the link to smoking angry bees, cheers.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:30:33 am »
Here is a copy of it.
I can make the calmest hive mean and I can make the meanest hive calm. It is all about you handle them and how you smoke them.
I teach the 10 minute and 30 second smoking procedure. Get your smoker puffing thick smoke. Puff 3-4 puffs into the bottom of the hive. Wait full 10 minutes, puff 3-4 puffs into the bottom of the hive and wait 30 seconds. While waiting, slowly slide your hive tool between boxes to break the propolis. Do not bang on the hive tool to do this.
One thing you do not want to do is bang anything against your hives.
Move slowly and gently slide frames in and out of the hive.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bali Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
Thanks once again Jim. I will practice this method of smoking hives. I have 2 hives and 4 nucs and they all changed at the same time and I read that this is characteristic of Cerana during honey flow. I will start breeding queens today using cell punch and change out queens so all have young queens, maybe even get couple more nuks (sucker for punishment).

anything