Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone make their own equipment from scrap timber?  (Read 9712 times)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Does anyone make their own equipment from scrap timber?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 12:04:38 am »
Glue doesn't seem very cheap to me and it takes a bunch.  I have just been using elmers glue.  Any good cheap glue or glue recipes?
gww

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:04 pm »
I would not use scrap wood unless I knew it's previous use. 
That said, capt is right.  Using you own scrap and glue is a good idea. 
I make nucs, tops and bottoms from new wood, use scrap wood for odds and ends. 

I don't think I would ever use pallet wood unless the previous use was indisputably safe and chem free.

I do use scrap wood for my deer stands and range frames.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 01:00:57 am »
I made seven mediums and a long hive and all the frames from just about eveything I could get my hands on.  Old nonstandard barn wood, rough cut cherry, couple peices of walnut and pine.  All well weathered.  It is not worth it unless you got lots of time and enjoy it.  If you combine woods that are 3/4 of an inch to over an inch, you pretty well have to build one peice at a time to get the bee space correct.  Secondly it takes an ungodly amount of wood and I ran out which is why I stopped till I find more.  You would have to have much more cofidence in your math then I have in mine if you were to be able to use nonstandard mixed wood and could make multipul cuts.  I ruined a few pieces of board.  That is why it takes longer.  All that said, I intend to look for more wood laying around and I don't set my standards too high.  I wasn't joking when I ask if anyone knew of a good cheap glue recipe and if I find more wood, that will be my next google search.
Cheers and good luck.
gww