Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newb installing a nuc  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
Newb installing a nuc
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:02:59 am »
 Serious newb question. It's my understanding that when I install a nuc,  at the end of March in middle Ga USA, I will automatically leave them with a top hive feeder of 1-1 sugar water and a pollen patti. I also intend to put apivar strips and beetle traps. My main question is the feeder and pollen patti. Does anyone have another viewpoint on this or is this a sound approach?

Online cao

• Super Bee
Re: Newb installing a nuc
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 10:52:06 am »
In the spring with a flow going on, I do not feed my nucs.  If no flow in march in you location, I would feed sugar water.  The pollen patty would just draw SHB's in my area. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 08:10:05 pm »
What cao said......l
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:07:37 am »
I would agree. One thing about pollen (or pollen sub) I was told by an older beek and found to be true (same advice given here). If they can't police all the way around it, hive beetles will lay eggs in it. I use inner covers and most of them flip to allow a bit more room over the frames. I will flatten down some pollen sub mix (about the size of a chicken egg, half that for a nuc) in such a way that they can reach over and under it. I usually put it down as several strips or pieces going out from the center of the brood nest. If they are bringing in tons of pollen then it's overkill.

During times where I have it thick enough to touch the top of frames and also the inner cover, I will pop off the cover to reveal little white larvae getting started. Basically, I don't give them more than they can consume in a few days. I have found that the larvae benefit from a marked increase in royal jelly production using pollen sub (and sometimes pollen), but again only if they are not able to gather lots of it.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 01:13:44 am »
Do a shake or roll before treating for mites. Know what your treating for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything