Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Peppermint & Spearmint to Repel Bees  (Read 9439 times)

Offline dplant

• Brood
Peppermint & Spearmint to Repel Bees
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »
Hello, I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question.  We have noticed a lot of bumble bees in our yard this year.  They hang out around the corners of our back yard and by my daughter's playhouse.  They usually leave us alone, but my daughter is terrified and won't play outside anymore.  So I wanted to know if there are any ways to keep the bees away.  I've read that peppermint oil and spearmint oil are offensive to bees.  Just wondering if anyone had any success with this or any other suggestions. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Peppermint & Spearmint to Repel Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:15:45 pm »
Neither are offensive to bees.  They put peppermint oil in Honey Bee Healthy to attract bees...  Cintronella is not offensive to bees either.  And lemongrass is particularly attractive.  About the only essential oil that the bees don't seem to care for is Almond aka Benzaldehyde.  But I don't know if it will actually keep them away from a place.  It will run them out of a super...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:47:52 pm »
...sounds like carpenter bees.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
How about Tea Tree Oil. It is an extract that we use to move bees out of a super when we extract the honey. \
Mike, do you know if it works on Carpenter Bees?
I get it at health food stores. It will only take a drop or 2 to keep them away.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jonesjungle

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:59:41 am »
Bees dislike clove oil. Available at most pharmacies. :happy: