Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sugar vs patties  (Read 1298 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
sugar vs patties
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:10:08 pm »
Happy Holidays to you all!

We have had some pretty cold weather here in December (down to single digits) but there was a warm spell right before Christmas with high in the 50s. The bees from my one hive (the combined hive from the fall) were out flying, so I took advantage of that to open the top of the hive and check on the food I had given them earlier. I didn't check on the frames as I didn't think it was that warm. I quickly opened the top and place additional food.

I had left them with a bunch of sugar cubes and one patty of Bee-Pro+ (which is a balanced patty sugar and protein). Many of the sugar cubes were still there but some had been eaten, and the patty was gone. So I replaced the patty with another one.

My main question is if it is OK to feed this type of patty in the winter (the package says that feeding this type of patty is not weather dependent), or if I should stick to basic sugar patties without any pollen/protein stuff in them.

I am happy the hive is still there alive and looked OK, though our winter is still long ...

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: sugar vs patties
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:09 pm »
And how can I know whether the hive even needs sugar? Do you guys root through the colony checking frames for how much honey storage there is in January?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 12:46:19 am »
And how can I know whether the hive even needs sugar? Do you guys root through the colony checking frames for how much honey storage there is in January?
I heft my hives to see if they feel light. Generally, I take off my tie down straps, and then I put my hand under the back edge of the bottom board and tilt the hive slightly forward. If it?s hard to move the hive or I can?t move it at all, they?re still good. If it?s easy to move the hive, I usually will pop some sugar in the top. Bees and comb don?t weigh much, so if there is little weight, there is probably little honey. Also, if it?s warm enough, I?ll peek in and see if there are bees on the top bars of the top box. Usually if the bees have moved all the way up the hive, they?ve pretty much eaten their way up and are probably getting low. I use a combination of those two factors when deciding when to feed.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:16:09 am »
Protein in brood and poo out.
Too cold for elimination flights dysentery develops.
All you need is carbs till maples start

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:16:08 pm »
Thanks. Didn?t think of the poop issue. I was more concerned about kickstarting brood too early. I?ll hold off on the patties then. There have been sufficiently warm days for them to go out and relieve themselves on and off, so hopefully the one patty I put will not be a major issue.

As to how I know if they need it ... I don?t ... I just feed them prophylactically ... I need to invest in a hive scale or a brood minder type of device ...

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »
This time of year you definitely do not want to be opening up your hive,except to lift the top. The bees have sealed up the hive and you do not want to disturb it. You also do not want to chill the brood.
As mentioned, the best thing to do is to left the back edge and see how heavy it is. I have my hives setup with one inch over hanging the back edge to keep tabs on them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:54:33 pm »
Rgennaro,  You don't need to invest in anything, just put all brood in the bottom box in the fall, and then feed heavy and fast until there is no space for more food.  Give them what they need in the fall and then leave them alone.

anything