Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Proper care of the hive tool  (Read 8301 times)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Proper care of the hive tool
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 09:20:15 am »
A little bit of nail polish remover takes care of the sticky propolis, but it will also take care of any paint on it.  I just scrape mine off on a tree when it starts feeling like a dowel instead of a hive tool....

When I first started and wanted my gloves clean I'd have my wife throw them in the wash.  It took me almost 6 months to realize where all those random yellowish stains were on my pants (ok no comments on that please).  That didn't do much to the gloves other than leach the color out of the propolis onto my clothes.

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Proper care of the hive tool
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 10:34:15 am »
Ok, I'm in.  I think that Mici only wears a hat when he works his bees  :roll: :-D

I wash my bee suit about every 2nd time that I wear it.  I like the feel of really clean clothes, and I know how dirty my bee suit gets.  I am always on my knees out in the apiary when I do stuff, that is inevitable.  I always look around the hive bottoms, and all sorts of things.  Anyways.  My bee suit is is washed in cold water with a little tiny bit of soap only.  That way the propolis or whatever else in on the suit does not transfer to other clothes in the next laundry load.  And to be on the safe side, after bee suit washing, I don't wash the white, always the darks, then if there is any orange stuff that comes off the suit, it is not as noticeable.  Actually I have never noticed anything, so the cold water must work.

I have the Duet by Maytag, this washer is a front opener and has a drum that turns around.  It is not the agitator design, so less "banging" of the clothes against the side, maybe this creates less mess for the next load of laundry after the bee suit.  Perhaps, maybe.  Anyways, wash your bee suits.  You will feel better and the bees won't smell human sweat as much.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service