Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what is everyone seeing?  (Read 23562 times)

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
Re: what is everyone seeing?
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:27 pm »
Wrap legs of stand with paper tape and apply thin coat of vaseline?  Or wold that affect bees?  Don't see how it could be worse than ants.

My fear is I know there are hive beetles in there, they live in the cluster during winter, and we have been having some days in the 60's the last week. I also have 2 supers on this hive, one was full in the fall and the other had a small amount, that I didn't know what to do with... I am wanting to get that upper super off...and my "stands" are concrete blocks. The bees seem to be acting normally, but I've lost a hive to the beetles before and I guess I'm paranoid! :) They have had ants before, but this amount doesn't look good...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 06:57:30 am »
Wrap legs of stand with paper tape and apply thin coat of vaseline?  Or wold that affect bees?  Don't see how it could be worse than ants.
Take your used coffee grounds and spread them around each leg to block off the ants access to the hive.
This will not help if the ant nest is now in the hive.
I have to check the screen top boards every week for ants. They keep moving in to them.
Two weeks ago I looked into a hive that I had checked for a 2 week period. I had a mound os carpenter ants in the STB, several thousands of ants. I think I killed most of them. I never saw any down ion the hive but a week later, this hive was empty of bees. I still had honey and pollen through the hive but no brood and no bees other than robbers that hat just started to clean it out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »
Where I live, I haven't seen temperatures above 32F or 0C in a few weeks. We don't even have much snow either. On a positive note the ski areas have had plenty of cold weather to make snow... I won't see bees for quite a while. On Tuesday the high is predicted to be 10F.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 09:56:32 pm »
Take your used coffee grounds and spread them around each leg to block off the ants access to the hive.
This will not help if the ant nest is now in the hive.
I have to check the screen top boards every week for ants. They keep moving in to them.
Two weeks ago I looked into a hive that I had checked for a 2 week period. I had a mound os carpenter ants in the STB, several thousands of ants. I think I killed most of them. I never saw any down ion the hive but a week later, this hive was empty of bees. I still had honey and pollen through the hive but no brood and no bees other than robbers that hat just started to clean it out.
Jim

Thanks sawdstmakr...I have never had a problem with ants building nest in hives...but when I had a hive destroyed by hive beetles, ants starting making trails all over it, taking advantage of the situation. This is what I am afraid of now...the bees seem to be acting normally...hope to find out Sunday.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 10:00:17 pm »
No problem Bewildered. Good luck on Sunday.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 11:43:07 am »
I'm seeing snow here in Mt. Juliet Tn this morning.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »
sunny with highs in the 50's down here for a while sterling.  i'm starting to see some buds on trees. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »
I've saw a couple of blooms on some yellow bell bushes for about a week now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 11:09:21 pm »
I'm seeing lots of bees flying, even on chilly days!  Looks like all but two are doing well, I would like to get into a few of them, but it has been just a little too cool or raining. I have a hard time pulling a frame below 68-70F. My bees were far less active this time last year.  When do people in the NE FL, SE GA area start looking in the brood nest? 

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »
Finally a couple warm days. Bees are flying like crazy. Still have 5 kickin. Feeding deadout honey frames away from the hives. lost 2 early in winter. Even the small clusters are seemingly holding their own. Not really growing much but definitely not shrinking. Its close to spring. Fingers crossed. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 02:06:46 pm »
Nothing good - although one hive had numbers of bees flying just last week, I checked today and all 3 of my hives are dead. Haven't taken the hives apart, but looking down the frames it seems that numbers of bees in all 3 are very small. Looks like there are still stores... Last year I had 100% survival and I felt like I was getting the hang of this...

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 02:11:52 pm »
I moved my 2 hives a week ago and they were very, very light.  Expected a cold week, so I gave them sugar using Mountain Camp method.  Yesterday was warmer and they were flying.  Today is warmer, so I'm going to check on the sugar to see if they've been taking it.  Spring is close, but we'll have at least one freeze before mid- March, so I'm wit G -- fingers crossed.  I had hoped to make some queens this year, but now I just hope to see them build up and survive.

While I was typing, tjc1 posted a msg.  That's tough, man.  Sorry to hear that.  Better luck with the next hives.  If there are SOME bees still in the hives, maybe there's hope???

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 02:13:09 pm »
Okay, now I see where you are located.  You've had some really rough weather recently, so don't give up. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 05:37:06 pm »
I checked my hives and one is taking the sugar, but the other isn't. The sugar left on the paper is still dry, in granules.  Shouldn't it be lumped together like a big cake, due to moisture in the hive?  We've been in a long drought, but really....  I gently sprayed the sugar that was left and replenished the supply on the hive that appears to be taking it.  Any other suggestions?

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 10:11:52 pm »
Im assuming if they arent taking any, they still have honey, the hive of mine thats still flush with honey hasnt touched the sugar blocks, the others are using it in varying amounts. 60s today, they were flying like crazy and even saw some pollen coming in. Come on spring. Grey and Olive Drab. G

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 10:49:03 pm »
I checked my hives today. I have NEVER seen so many hive beetles! Hundreds in every hive. I have got to get a handle on them or else.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 11:04:54 pm »
I checked my hives today. I have NEVER seen so many hive beetles! Hundreds in every hive. I have got to get a handle on them or else.

Steve

NOOOOO. Good luck brother, I hate those bastards. G

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 12:08:38 am »
Shb ran off my first hive (I made stupid mistakes also) and they almost did my second in last October right after the cutout.  I put them on an oil trap bottom and I haven't seen any since December.    :smile:

I dropped in a new frame last Sunday and had this today with eggs.  They are also bringing in pollen and nectar.  It is an early Spring.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2015, 12:55:33 am »
Well, if you have'em in Houston, we csn't be far behind.   Good on you!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2015, 06:52:16 am »
Lost one due to starving out. Bad thing is I was in that hive a couple of weeks ago and had it in my notes to feed it. I fed it some, but obviously not enough.

On the good side, I thought one of my hives had an odor coming out of it so I checked it late yesterday afternoon. Too much pollen being brought in for me to disturb them mid day. This hive had about 3 frames of capped brood, always becomes aggressive when the top is opened, good numbers and propolis every where. No drone cells.

Pollen is coming in by the but loads in most all my hives. FEED! FEED! FEED! but not to much.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.