Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: aggressive carnis  (Read 1840 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
aggressive carnis
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »
has anyone ever had a hive of aggressive carniolans?  i've got a hive that has been really nasty a couple of times and i didn't think that was typical.  they're really runny some times.  they are the result of an august supersedure of a queen i bought in late july.  i'm starting to wonder about them.  the beekeeper i got the queens from is an interstate beekeeper and his bees are mutts.  i only have one of the four left.  this hive superseded, another hive starved, another hive superseded recently and the one survivor looks like the old pure italians we ran in the 80's and the bees are gentle.
the queen in question is nearly solid black, the workers look like carnis and at times they may only head butt a little but at other times they get runny and light me up. 

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: aggressive carnis
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:15:29 pm »
What we have here is called variability.  Sounds like you have a hive with less than perfect attributes and that comes with any variety.  If it is too ornery to put up with, I would requeen it.  If it is a good producer and you decide to tolerate the behavior, do nothing.  I have two colonies that are going to be made into nucs when I get the queens I have ordered for May delivery.  I like mild bees.  When I restarted keeping bees after many years out of the sport, the carniolans I got plain amazed me with their overall docility.  My bees are now mutts and I select for temperament among other things.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:34:17 pm »
Bees come in all temperaments.  No need to put up with mean bees.  Kill the queen. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:36:52 pm »
yeah, they were slow to build up but once they got going they really got going.  that's also when they started getting a bit defensive.  i wish i had somewhere i could turn into a "hot" yard.  i'm going to pull a nuc with the queen this weekend and let them raise their own replacement.  i expect to see swarm cells in that hive and a few others.  

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:46:28 pm »
set up a nuc with the queen from this hive today.  the bees were all working this evening and i got a few stings but not as bad as last time.  hopefully the the next queen will mellow the hive out a bit.  i wasn't sure about splitting them just yet but the queen was on the first comb i pulled and she's so dark that it's usually hard to find her, so i took it as a sign.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:28 pm »
Rob I hope it works out for you. Some updates now and again would be nice.
Later,
Ray

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:31:30 am »
yes please let us know if the split calmed them down

the locals here say it won't, I've got to know
thanks jay

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »
jay, in south florida i would expect not.  i think there's ahb down that way.
i think it's a coin toss with these.  half of the worker attitude comes fro the queen and this queen was open mated in my yard.......

anything