Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Missing and getting the queen  (Read 1991 times)

Offline chux

• House Bee
Missing and getting the queen
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:28:34 am »
I did a cutout yesterday that was building in the overhang of a house between the first and second story. (I forget what you call those homes that have the first floor of brick, and the second floor sticks out about a foot farther, with siding) Anyway, I got all the comb out and vaccumed the bees I could reach. A good number went too deep in the floor space, or into cracks where I couldn't reach. I was sure I didn't have the queen, but nothing could be done. I added the bees to the box with the brood, closed them up, and transported them to my yard. Not enough bees, I knew. I probably lost most of the brood. I went back last night at dark, and saw what I hoped to see. A good-size cluster of bees hanging right where I removed the comb. I slipped up there with my vac, and got nearly all of them. Took them to my yard and dumped them in the box. After about ten seconds of looking with my red light, I saw the queen walking around on the pile of bees. I made sure she, and the rest went down in the frames, and closed it up.

Just reminding folks, if you fail to get the queen during the day, go back that evening and you may find her, along with a pile of bees. We should really go back and vacuum bees at night, from a cutout, anyway. Get those foragers and hiders.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Missing and getting the queen
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »
Good idea, thanks.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything