Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Purchased queen in hive with hatched queen?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline karoglanian

• Brood
Purchased queen in hive with hatched queen?
« on: July 02, 2016, 04:43:12 am »
Let me preface this with me saying I am a new bee keeper with 2 kids under 3 and a wife who had to leave town for 3 weeks (aka no time).   And I posted this in this topic because i figured you all would be the most informative to my situation.

After receiving a nuc it didn't expand for over 2 months, I checked the hive last week (the day my wife went out of town) and determined that I had lost my queen.  I just received my new queen today (1 week later), when I went to put her in the hive I discovered 5 new queen cells.  After looking at my pictures afterward it seems at least one of them has hatched out.

In a panic of not knowing what to do and having screaming kids in the background, I put the queen in the hive and closed it up.  So I have a newly introduced queen and at least one hatched queen.  I will be smashing the remaining queen cells tomorrow morning....

I've read that I can seal the hive up for 24 hours and they will basically determine who the real queen is.  After 24 hours open up the hive and every thing should be good. Besides that there isn't much information on the interwebs on this topic.

Does anybody on the forum have any recommendations on this?   
or have experience with this situation?

Thanks

Thanks

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Purchased queen in hive with hatched queen?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:19:31 am »
Welcome. It is almost a daily happening in spring and early summer with newbees not giving the bees enough time to correct their own problems. Take care of your babies until wife gets home. The bees will do the same. They have been doing it for 10,000 years plus.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Mark Smith

• New Bee
    • Flatwoods Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 09:52:34 am »
They will probably kill the introduced queen and keep the queen that they raised. They do this because they share genetics with one queen and not the other.

Offline karoglanian

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 02:58:28 am »
Thanks, I like your style, its like the home brewing motto "relax don't worry have another home-brew"....

So your saying just let the hive figure out who the queen will be?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 07:24:09 am »
Let the bees bee bees.
They are going to do what they want to do anyway.
If you went into that hive and removed every queen cell without finding a queen, you could make them queen less with no chance of making another queen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything