Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Grafting to a laying worker nuc  (Read 14048 times)

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
Re: Grafting to a laying worker nuc
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2015, 11:50:10 pm »
I believe this would be correct, that once they give up the Vg, it's gone and they would age as any other forager, minus the strains of the wild outside the hive. I wonder if they may get back any Vg when fed as a queen, if they are in fact fed this way. Per Oliver's articles on the subject, a winter bee had a long life when it has not raised brood, and winter bees that have been exposed to brood pheromones had shorter lives. This would certainly apply to the typical laying worker, meaning they likely would not have a significantly longer life than an average forager. Does this make sense or have I overlooked something?
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2015, 01:19:38 pm »
I think that's correct except that they would not have the wear and tear of foraging, so would live longer.

I've read that bees' wings get tattered and worn and that when the bee can no longer function efficiently, they may even commit "benevolent suicide" by just crawling away to die.  I have observed bees crawling near my hives and when I've tried to get them to fly, they resist and continue walking away from the hive. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2015, 07:03:26 am »
Dallas,
The next time you SE a bee walking away from your hives, pick it up and take a good look at it. I think you will find that it is a young bee with no sign of tattered wings and probably it will still have most of its hair. This is a sign of a sick bee. They leave the nest to protect the hive from getting what ever they have.
Your old bees keep on flying on their tattered wings until they get out in the field, get a full load of nectar and cannot fly home due to the extra weight.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 12:16:27 pm »
Dallas,
The next time you SE a bee walking away from your hives, pick it up and take a good look at it. I think you will find that it is a young bee with no sign of tattered wings and probably it will still have most of its hair. This is a sign of a sick bee. They leave the nest to protect the hive from getting what ever they have.
Your old bees keep on flying on their tattered wings until they get out in the field, get a full load of nectar and cannot fly home due to the extra weight.
Jim

Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

anything