Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones?  (Read 4264 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Drones?
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:23:37 pm »
I decided that since I do not have a hive yet, and I need to save up for equipment, that for the time being I would just read everything I could get my hands on and observe bees in nature.

My question is a weird one that I haven't gotten an answer for yet.  When I was observing some bees outside my fiances house in the country, I noticed what APPEARED to be drones on flowers, foraging for food.

I know that sounds out of the norm, but they had the same color as honey bees, they had the big wraparound eyes like drones, so my question is, am I seeing some type of hybrid?  Are these common?  What do YOU think it is I'm seeing?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Drones?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:40:57 pm »
Probably some other kind of bee.  There are many different kinds.  Even flies that LOOK like bees.  Bumble bee drones DO get nectar to feed themselves.  Honey bee drones do not.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Gware

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:19:20 pm »
I saw the same thing and it looked just like a drone honeybee.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:45:18 pm »
Every beekeeper I've ever asked says the same thing "Bee's don't forage for food", but I'm just tellin ya what I'm seeing.

I don't know how many HYBRIDS there are as opposed to SPECIES, but someone has to have an answer for this.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:15:53 pm »
I think a picture would help you get the answer that you are looking for.

Dave

Offline Hivehead

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:10:22 pm »
I have one hive from captured swarm and have seen no drones but was at another beek's house whose strong hives had plenty of drones.  First one I had ever seen and it reminded me of some of the solitary wild bees I've seen before.  Perhaps a leaf cutter bee.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:59:55 pm »
Chris, I bet you saw some kind of syrphid fly, they are pretty big with those big ol' eyeballs like the drones.  Beautiful and most wonderful day.  Cindi

Syrphid fly on my honeysuckle and night scented stocks

On the night scented stock

On the honeysuckle

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 10:11:33 pm »
Cindi,

I've been stung by yellow jackets, wasps, and bees.  I know the differences between them somewhat, but what you have here is pretty close.  The first picture is really the closest one, but the thorax was more of a brownish yellow like honey bees.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:04:13 am »
Cindi,

I've been stung by yellow jackets, wasps, and bees.  I know the differences between them somewhat, but what you have here is pretty close.  The first picture is really the closest one, but the thorax was more of a brownish yellow like honey bees.

Sounds like a Horsefly, you can't fool one of those you know.  Nor will you find feathers on a bullfrogs legs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:24:32 am »
Nor will you find feathers on a bullfrogs legs.

Brian, are you sure?   :( ;) :) :) C
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:27:23 pm »
Nor will you find feathers on a bullfrogs legs.

Brian, are you sure?   :( ;) :) :) C

Yep, it says so in the song (vaudville act), it also says Horseradish makes and oyster cry.  ;)  ;)
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Gware

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:02 am »
The drone looking insect I saw did not look like cindi pic. It looked identical to a drone bee, not similar I saw it close up. I dont what it was, but it looked identical to a honeybee drone.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »
I watch any pollinators I see on any flowers and have for decades.  I've never seen a honey bee drone collecting nectar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin